HP Officejet J6480 All-in-One Printer support
Setting up the All-in-One (Hardware)
This document explains how to set up the physical parts of the product. Complete these steps before you install the product software on your computer. If you already set up the product hardware, and need software installation help, see Links to Software Installation Instructions at the end of this document.
This document includes the following steps to set up the product:
- Unpack the All-in-One
- Check the contents of the box
- Attach the control panel faceplate (if not attached)
- Install the two-sided printing accessory (duplexer)
- Connect the supplied phone cord
- Connect the power cord and adapter
- Turn on the product
- Select the language/region
- Set the date and time
- Install the cartridges
- Load plain white paper
- Align the cartridges
Setting up the All-in-One
Follow these steps in order. When you are finished, you can click the appropriate link at the end of this document if you need instructions to install the printer software.
NOTE:Do not connect a USB cable now. If you plan to use a USB cable to connect the printer to the computer, you will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during the software installation.
Step one: Unpack the All-in-One
Remove all tape and packing materials from the product.
Step two: Check the contents of the box
The contents might vary by country/region. See the packaging for a list of items shipped in the box.
Step three: Attach the control panel faceplate (if not attached)
Step four: Install the two-sided printing accessory (duplexer)
Step five: Connect the supplied phone cord
Connect one end of the supplied phone cord to the phone port (1-LINE) and the other end to a wall jack.
Step six: Connect the power cord and adapter
- Connect the power adapter to the back of the product.
- Connect the power cord to the power adapter.
- Connect the other end of the power cord to an alternating current (AC) power outlet.
Step seven: Turn on the product
Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
Step eight: Select the language/region
The product might prompt you to set the language/region.
NOTE:The prompt to select the language might not appear on all models.
- Press the Right arrow button ( ) until the appropriate language appears on the control panel display.
- Press the number keys that correspond to the language on the control panel display.A confirmation screen appears.
- Press the number keys that correspond to Yes to accept the settings, or press the number keys that correspond to No to choose a different language.
- After you select the language, a screen appears for country or region selection. Press the number keys that correspond to the appropriate country or region.A confirmation screen appears.
- Press the number keys that correspond to Yes to accept the settings, or press the number keys that correspond to No to choose a different country or region.
Step nine: Install the cartridges
- Make sure that the product is on.
- Open the cartridge door. The carriage moves to the far right side of the product.
- Wait until the carriage is idle and silent.
- Remove the new cartridge from its packaging and, being careful to touch only the black plastic, gently remove the plastic tape by using the pink pull tab.Figure 9: Remove the plastic tape1 - Copper-colored contacts2 - Plastic tape with pink pull tab (must be removed before installing)3 - Ink nozzles under tapeCAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or ink nozzles. Also, do not re-tape the print cartridges. Doing so can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.
- Hold the cartridge with the HP logo on top, and insert the new cartridge into the empty cartridge slot.
- Insert the tri-color cartridge into the left slot.
- Insert the black, photo, or gray photo cartridge into the right slot.
- Make sure that you push the cartridge in firmly until it snaps into place.
- Close the cartridge door.
Step ten: Load plain white paper
- Lift the output tray.
- Insert plain white letter or A4 paper print-side down along the right side of the tray. Make sure that the stack of paper aligns with the right and back edges of the tray, and the height does not exceed the line marking in the tray.
- Slide the paper guide in the tray to adjust it for the paper size that you have loaded.
- Lower the output tray and pull out the tray extension.
Step eleven: Align the cartridges
The product prompts you to align cartridges every time you install or replace a cartridge. You can also align the cartridges at any time from the product control panel or by using the software you installed with the product. Aligning print cartridges ensures high quality output.
Make sure that you have letter or A4 unused plain white paper loaded in the input tray, and then press OK .
The product prints a test page and calibrates the printer. Recycle or discard the page.
Links to software installation instructions
After you complete the previous setup steps, you can install the product software with the product CD or by downloading the software from the HP Web site. For instructions, click the link for your computer operating system.
CAUTION:For USB connections, do NOT connect the USB cable yet. You will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during software installation.
|Wireless Network Connection|
|Installing the Printer Software on a Wireless Network (c02280381) (in English)|
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum