This document explains how to replace print cartridges. Cartridges are generally replaced when they become low on ink or when print quality issues related to the print cartridges occur.
Replacing print cartridges
Follow these steps to replace print cartridges.
Step one: Replacing the old print cartridges
Follow these steps to replace the ink cartridge.
- Make sure that the product is turned on.NOTE:One or both the ink cartridge status lights might blink, indicating issues with the ink cartridges. The light on the left blinks when the tri-color ink cartridge (on the left) has an issue, and the light on the right blinks when the black ink cartridge (on the right) has an issue.
- Open the product cover.The carriage moves to the right side of the product.
- Wait until the carriage is idle and silent, and then lightly press down on an ink cartridge to release it.
- If replacing the tri-color ink cartridge, remove the ink cartridge from the slot on the left.
- If replacing the black, photo, or gray photo ink cartridge, remove the ink cartridge from the slot on the right.
- Pull the ink cartridge out of its slot.
- Remove the new ink cartridge from its packaging and carefully remove the plastic tape using the pink pull tab.Figure 3: Removing the plastic tape1 - Copper-colored contacts2 - Plastic tape with pink pull tab (must be removed before installing)3 - Ink nozzles under tapeCAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or ink nozzles. Also, do not re-tape the ink cartridges. Doing so can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.
- Hold the ink cartridge with the HP logo on top, and insert it into the empty cartridge slot.
- If installing the tri-color ink cartridge, slide it into the left slot.
- If installing a black, photo, or gray photo ink cartridge, slide it into the right slot.
- Push the ink cartridge in firmly until it snaps into place.
- Close the product cover.
Step two: Aligning the new print cartridges
After installing a print cartridge, align the print cartridges to ensure the best print quality.
- Double-click the HP Digital Imaging Monitor icon ( ) on the right side of the Windows taskbar.The HP Solution Center displays.
- In the HP Solution Center, click Settings , and then click Printer Toolbox . The printer Toolbox displays.
- Click Align the Print Cartridges .
- Click Print Page . An alignment page prints.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and click Continue . A second alignment page prints.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- If the printed patterns look like the on-screen example, click Done .
- If the printed pattern does not resemble the on-screen example, click Align to repeat the alignment.