This document explains how to set up the physical parts of the product. Complete these steps before you install the product software on your computer. If you already set up the product hardware, and need software installation help, see Links to Software Installation Instructions at the end of this document.
This document includes the following steps to set up the product:
- Unpack the All-in-One
- Connect the power cord and adapter
- Turn on power
- Load plain paper
- Install the cartridges
- Align the cartridges
Setting up the All-in-One
Follow these steps in order. When you are finished, you can click the appropriate link at the end of this document if you need instructions to install the product software.
CAUTION:Do NOT connect the USB cable now. If you need a USB cable to connect the product to the computer, you will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during software installation.
Step one: Unpack the All-in-One
- Remove the product from its packaging.
- Remove all tape and tabs from the lid and from the front and back of the product, and then open the paper tray.Figure 1: Remove tape from the product and open the paper tray
- Open the inner access door, and then remove the packing material from the inside of the product.Figure 2: Open the inner access door and remove packing material
- Close the inner access door firmly.
Step two: Connect the power cord and adapter
The power cord and adapter are both necessary for connecting the product to an electrical outlet.
Step three: Turn on power
Press the power button ( ) to turn on the product.
Step four: Load plain paper
Many different types of media can be loaded into the product. To set up the product correctly, load it with plain paper. Make sure the tray is extended fully before attempting to load the paper.
- Pull out the input tray extension.
- Slide the paper-width guide to its outermost position.
- Tap a stack of paper on its side and top or bottom on a flat surface to align the edges.
- Check the paper to make sure that it meets the following criteria:
- make sure that the paper is free of rips, dust, wrinkles, and curled or bent edges.
- make sure that all of the sheets in the stack are the same size and type.
- Insert the stack of paper into the input tray with the short edge first and the side to be printed on facing down. Slide the stack of paper forward until it stops.CAUTION:Make sure that the product is idle and quiet when loading paper into the input tray. If the product is engaged in a task, the paper might be pushed in too far forward and cause the product to eject blank pages.
- Slide the paper-width guide inward until it stops at the edge of the paper. Make sure that the stack of paper fits within the input tray and is not higher than the top of the paper-width guide.
Step five: Install the cartridges
Use the following steps to install the cartridges. Leave the product on for this procedure.
- Open the cartridge door. The carriage moves to the far right side of the product. If the carriage does not move to the right side, turn the product off, and then turn it back on.Figure 9: Open the cartridge door
- Remove the new cartridges from the packaging, being careful to touch only the black plastic. Use the pink pull tab to remove the tape from both cartridges.Removing the tapeCopper-colored contactsPlastic tape with pink pull tab (must be removed before installing)Ink nozzles under tape
- Slide each the new cartridge at a slight upward angle into the empty slot, and gently push it until it snaps into place.To install a tri-color cartridge, insert it into the left slot.To install a black cartridge, insert it into the right slot.
- Close the cartridge door.
- The product prints a cartridge alignment sheet because it recognizes that the cartridges are new. Save this sheet to align the cartridges.
Step six: Align the cartridges
Use the alignment sheet from the previous step to align the cartridges.
- Lift the product lid.
- Place the alignment sheet on the glass so the top of the sheet is on the right side with the text facing down. Make sure the sheet is aligned with the right-front corner of the glass.Figure 14: Placement of the alignment sheet on the glass
- Lower the product lid.
- Press the scan button ( ) on the product control panel. The product aligns the cartridges.
Links to software installation instructions
After you complete the previous setup steps, you can install the product software with the product CD or by downloading the software from the HP website. For instructions, click the link for your computer operating system.
CAUTION:For USB connections, do NOT connect the USB cable yet. You will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during software installation.