This document provides steps to replace cartridges.
Video of replacing the cartridges
The following video demonstrates the steps for replacing the cartridges. The product shown in the video is the HP Photosmart C4280. The outside of the product might look different, but the steps are similar for your product.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video (in English) on YouTube.
Step one: Replace the old cartridge
- Make sure the product is turned on.CAUTION:If the product is turned off when the cartridge door is opened to access the cartridges, it will not release the cartridges for changing. The product might be damaged if the cartridges are not docked safely when trying to remove them.A prompt displays on the control panel display of the All-in-One to indicate that the cartridge is low on ink and will need to be replaced soon.
- Open the cartridge door.The carriage moves to the right side of the product. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent.
- Lightly press down on a cartridge to release it, and then pull the cartridge toward you out of its slot.
- If replacing the tri-color cartridge, remove the cartridge from the slot on the left.
- If replacing the black or photo cartridge, remove the cartridge from the slot on the right.
- Remove the new cartridge from its packaging and, being careful to touch only the black plastic, gently remove the plastic tape by using the pink pull tab.CAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or ink nozzles. Also, do not re-tape the cartridges. Doing so can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.
- Hold the cartridge with the HP logo on top, and insert the new cartridge into the empty cartridge slot.
- If installing the tri-color cartridge, slide it into the left slot.
- If installing a black, photo, or gray photo cartridge, slide it into the right slot.
- Push the cartridge firmly into the slot until it snaps into place.
- Close the cartridge door.
Step two: Align the new cartridge
When a new cartridge is installed, the product aligns the cartridge. The cartridges can also be aligned any time after you install the software. Aligning the cartridges helps ensure high quality output.
Follow the steps to align newly installed cartridges.
- When prompted, make sure plain white letter or A4 paper is loaded in the input tray.
- Press the button next to OK on the control panel display.The product prints an alignment page.
- Place the alignment page print-side down on the right front corner of the glass.
- Press the button next to OK on the control panel display.When the On button stops flashing, the alignment is complete. Remove the page and recycle or discard it.