This document pertains to HP MediaSmart televisions.
This document describes how to set up, troubleshoot, and use the HP MediaSmart TV as the Extender for Windows Media Center.
Your HP MediaSmart TV enables you to enjoy digital photos, music and videos stored on computers and devices across your home network and to access online media. This is MediaSmart mode.
In addition, you can set up and use your MediaSmart TV as the Extender for Windows Media Center. In this mode, the MediaSmart displays the Windows Media Center window from your Windows Vista-based computer. With it, you can access the Windows Media Center Media Library, live TV, recorded TV, and other features provided by Microsoft.
NOTE:A Windows Vista computer can support up to four extenders. The MediaSmart TV can be an extender to only one computer at a time.
Using digital media: MediaSmart versus the Extender for Windows Media Center
The following illustration lists some features of using digital media from your MediaSmart TV for MediaSmart mode and for the Extender for Windows Media Center mode.
Some of the media experience features in Windows Media Center are not available when using the Extender for Windows Media Center device.
The following topics describe the features:
- For MediaSmart mode: To open the Media menu, press the Media button on the MediaSmart TV remote control.The Media mode interface was designed by HP and provides a unique and simple way to navigate through personal content and online media.
- For the Extender for Windows Media Center mode: To open the menu from Media Center, press the Media Center Green Start button on the remote control (or, select Windows Media Center icon in the Media menu). This allows you to browse and use your PC Media Center as if you were at your computer.Some of the media experience features in Windows Media Center are not available when using the Extender for Windows Media Center device..The Extender for Windows Media Center interface was designed by Microsoft and is similar to Microsoft Media Center interface you see at the computer.
To use the MediaSmart TV in Extender for Windows Media Center mode you need a PC with Windows Vista Home Premium or Ultimate operating system. In contrast, the Media mode is compatible with a wider range of PCs or other media servers. These include:
- PCs running Windows-based operating system, such as Windows XP (Service pack 2 or later), with either Windows Media Player 11 or any other third-party media server.
- Network-attached storage (NAS) devices running Windows Media Connect or other UPnP-compliant media servers such as HP Media Vault and HP MediaSmart Servers.
- Any device with a DLNA-compliant media server, including non-Windows based PCs or other consumer electronic devices with media streaming capabilities such as digital cameras or digital telephones.
NOTE:The HP user experience in MediaSmart mode has been optimized for PCs running Windows Media Player 11. Some features may not be available when using NAS devices or other servers.
Both MediaSmart and the Extender for Windows Media Center modes allow you to stream digital photos, music, and videos to your MediaSmart TV. However, in MediaSmart mode HP software running on your PC can stream a wider range of file formats than Extender. These file formats include images in PNG format, MP4 video files, and unprotected iTunes.
Both the MediaSmart and the Extender for Windows Media Center modes allow you to access online content directly from your MediaSmart. Using the MediaSmart mode, you access Internet-based services through the Online Media menu. Available services now include CinemaNow, Snapfish, and Live365. HP Online Media Services allow you to link all your services through a single login. In addition, accessing certain services, like Snapfish or Live365, does not require you to have your PC on. The Extender for Windows Media Center mode offers a rich online experience as well. With it you can access a variety of Internet content, including news feeds, sports clips, concerts, TV, movie, and Internet radio services.
Control live TV
The Extender for Windows Media Center mode allows you to control live TV if your computer has a TV Tuner, and it is connected to a TV signal source. Use these buttons:
- Press Live TV button to display the Windows Media Center Live TV menu.
- Press a Channel button (Ch+ or Ch-) to change the channel when watching live TV.
- Press Recorded TV to display the Windows Media Center Recorded TV menu. Use the menu to watch pre-recorded TV programs.
- Press Guide to display the Windows Media Center Program Guide. Use the guide to browse through program listings and mark them for recording.
- Press Record to begin recording the live TV program you are watching, or to mark for recording the program listed in the Windows Media Center Program Guide.
This function is not available in MediaSmart mode.
Access multiple servers in the home
It is not unusual for users to have in the home multiple PCs or other devices that can stream digital media content such as a NAS. One of the unique features of the MediaSmart TV is that in MediaSmart mode it automatically detects all media servers on the home network and aggregates and displays all available content. In contrast, in the Extender for Windows Media Center mode, only media content from the host PC is streamed. Of course, a user can mount drives from multiple PCs into the file system of the Extender server, but doing so is not automatic or simple.
To use the Extender for Windows Media Center feature, the computer must use Windows Vista Home Premium or Ultimate operating system, which includes the Media Center application. For Live TV and other features provided by Microsoft, your computer must have a TV tuner connected to a cable or off-the-air antenna.
NOTE:Be sure the operating system is up to date. If necessary, prior to setup load QFE files that update the computer with the current Extender for Windows Media Center technology.
NOTE:Your computer may require an active (live) connection to the Internet while you set up your MediaSmart as an extender.
Each time you set up the extender or change the computer, the MediaSmart TV generates a new 8-digit key to use for the extender setup.
How to setup
- For most MediaSmart TVs, skip to step 1 .Or
- Follow these steps for HP SL4278N and SL4778N MediaSmart TVs:These models require a firmware update before you can set up for the Extender for Windows Media Center. The update downloads automatically when the TV is connected to your home network with access to the Internet.After the download is completed, the following screen displays when you turn on the TV and press the Media button on the remote control.The TV is now ready to be setup as the Extender for Windows Media Center. Select Close and press OK to close this screen. Continue with step 1 .
- Press the Media Center Green Start button on the remote control (or select the Windows Media Center icon in the Media menu) to start the setup.
- In the menu, select Setup Extender , and then press OK on the remote control.Follow the onscreen instructions.The MediaSmart TV displays the 8-digit key you must enter into the Media Center settings for the Extender at the computer. Write down the key. Do not turn off the TV, close the screen, or change the input source for the TV.
- Go to your computer. The computer may automatically detect the MediaSmart TV and prompt you to connect it as an extender:If it does, click Yes and continue with step 4 .If it does not, perform the following step:Open Windows Media Center and in the window select Tasks , settings , and then click add extender . Continue with step 4 .
- In the Extender Setup Welcome screen, click Next .
- Enter the 8-digit key from the MediaSmart TV screen, and then click Next .
- Follow the Extender onscreen instructions. When you are prompted, select Yes to run the Network Performance Tuner , then click Next .
- Follow the Extender onscreen instructions.The Network Performance Monitor measures the bandwidth between the computer and the Extender for Windows Media Center (MediaSmart TV).
- Select Yes to view a graphic of the network bandwith, then click Next .The Network Performance Monitor displays a graphic of the network performance between the Extender for Windows Media Center and the computer. Watch the graphic to see the affect on network performance when you reposition the wireless access point antennas for the computer or the Extender (MediaSmart TV), or reduce obstructions between them.
- Click Next to continue.
- When the Extender steps are completed successfully, click Finish .The Windows Media Center window (menu) appears on the MediaSmart.
Using Media Center from your MediaSmart TV
After completion of the Extender for Windows Media Center setup at the computer, when you press the Media Center Green Start button on the MediaSmart remote control, or select the Windows Media Center icon in the Media main menu, then the Media Center window displays on the TV.
To navigate through the Windows Media Center menus and play media, just as you would when using the Windows Media Center remote control pointed at the computer, use the Arrows , OK , and Back buttons on the MediaSmart remote control.
If your computer has a TV tuner and is connected to a TV signal source, you can also control live or recorded TV:
- Press Live TV to display the Windows Media Center Live TV menu.
- Press a Channel button (CH+ or CH- ) to change the channel when watching live TV.
- Press Recorded TV to display the Windows Media Center Recorded TV menu.
- Press Guide to display the Windows Media Center Program Guide.
- Press Record to begin recording the live TV program you are watching, or to mark for recording a program in the Windows Media Center Program Guide.
To exit the Windows Media Center window , do any of the following by using the MediaSmart TV remote control buttons:
- Press Media to show the Media main menu.
- Press Last Source to show the last selected source on the TV (MediaSmart TVs only).
- Press Source and select a new input source.
- In the Windows Media Center main menu, select Tasks , and then click Exit .
To reset the Extender or change the computer:
Use the following steps if you want to reset the Extender, or to use the feature with a different computer. (The MediaSmart TV can act as an extender to one computer at a time.)
After the initial setup of the MediaSmart TV as an extender, the current extender setup information must be removed from the MediaSmart before setting up a new computer.
NOTE:Your computer may require an active (live) connection to the Internet while you set up your MediaSmart TV as an extender.
Each time you set up the extender or change the computer, the MediaSmart TV generates a new 8-digit key.
- Press Media on the MediaSmart remote control.
- Select Settings , and then press OK .
- Select Windows Media Center , and then press OK . The menu displays.
- To reset the Extender, select Setup Extender , and then press OK . Follow the onscreen instructions.Or
- To change the computer for the Extender function, select Remove Setup Information , and then press OK . Follow the onscreen instructions.Then, when the menu appears again, select Setup Extender , and then press OK . Follow the onscreen instructions to set up the new computer.