HP Startup Menu Overview
The UEFI is a pre-BIOS environment that can perform special diagnostics and configuration tasks. Starting in late 2008, selected HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario Notebook PCs supported the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). UEFI comes standard on most notebooks distributed with Windows Vista, and all notebooks distributed with Windows 8 and 7.
The UEFI environment provides access to technical information about the computer, and includes diagnostic and repair tools that can be used during the startup procedure - outside the operating system. These tools are not available on older notebook models even though the updated BIOS on older models may support the HP System Diagnostics (UEFI) tools.
On startup, if a system problem occurs, you may encounter a variety of error messages. These error messages provide you and the HP Service technicians with information about what may have gone wrong with the hardware or software on the computer. If the error involves a hardware failure, the system generates a warranty ID code that validates the failure conditions for the customer support representative.
UEFI Startup Menu Options
To determine if your computer has the UEFI environment, press the Power button to start the computer, and then press and hold the Esc key. A Startup Menu with some of the following options appears. Depending on the model, not all of these options are available.
Troubleshoot Startup Errors on models with UEFI
If a computer with the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) environment does not startup or displays an error message during the startup process, see the following troubleshooting documents.
Troubleshoot Startup Errors on older non-UEFI models
If an older computer, or a computer with a non-HP image without the UEFI environment, does not startup or displays an error message during the startup process, see Overview of How to Troubleshoot Problems When a Computer Does Not Start Up or Boot Properly .
Install updated UEFI tools and BIOS
To download and install the latest BIOS and the updated HP System Diagnostics (UEFI) tools, you must know the model number of your computer. Product name and model number are printed on a label on bottom of case, under the battery, or inside the case.
Find UEFI Tools and BIOS Updates
- Go to the HP Software & Driver Downloads web page for your model.
- If prompted for additional information, enter your Country / Region and Model Name or Product Number.For example: Pavilion dv6110us or Mini 210-1040nr.
- Select the current installed version of Windows Operating System from the drop-down list, and click Next .
- Click the plus icon next to BIOS to display a link to the latest BIOS version. Then select and download HP Notebook System BIOS software.
- Click the plus icon next to Diagnostics to display a list of drivers and software. Then select and download HP System Diagnostics (UEFI) .
- When prompted to either Run or Save the file, select Save and save the file to your desktop. Then, double-click the downloaded file to install the updated software.NOTE:Do not attempt to Run an updates until they are downloaded onto the hard drive.