HP Photosmart Pro B9180 Photo Printer support
The Printer Uses More Ink Than Expected
During normal use of the product, printing images uses more ink than expected.
Solution one: Update the product firmware
Step one: Print a test page
- Make sure that the product is turned on and that the Ready message appears on the control panel display.
- Load a sheet of plain, unused, white paper into the input tray.
- Press the Menu button, use the arrow buttons to scroll to Print Test Page, and then press OK to select it. The test page prints.
Step two: Check the firmware version
- Look at line 15 on the test page and find the last three characters of the entry.
- If the last three characters of the entry are on this list, continue with the next step.
- If the last three characters of the entry are not on the list, continue with Solution two: Locate and clean the New Electrostatic Drop Detector (NEDD).
Step three: Download and install the most recent version of the firmware
- Click here (in English) to go to the product software download page on the HP Web site.
- In the Update section, click Recommended firmware update for HP Photosmart Pro B9180 printer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the firmware update.
Solution two: Locate and clean the New Electrostatic Drop Detector (NEDD)
The NEDD monitors the printhead nozzles. If the NEDD is dirty, the printer might spray ink into the sensor when attempting to clean the printheads. Follow these instructions to clean the NEDD manually.
Step one: Locate the NEDD
- Make sure the product is turned on, then lift the lid.
- Press and hold the On button until the print carriage moves to the left.
- Locate the four spit and wipe sponges on the inside, right side of the product.The NEDD is a 25.4 mm (1 inch) slot located to the left of the spit and wipe sponges. If the NEDD is dirty, the top is probably black, and the slot might be difficult to see.
Step two: Clean the NEDD
- Gather a clean, lint-free cloth and a small amount of distilled or bottled water.NOTE:Do not use abrasive substances or household cleaners to clean the NEDD. These substances can damage the product.
- Moisten the cloth with the water so that the cloth is damp but not dripping, then wipe the NEDD with the cloth until all the ink is removed and the NEDD is shiny.
- Make sure there is no debris on or around the NEDD, then close the lid.
Step three: Print a NEDD test page
- Make sure the product is turned on, then load a sheet of plain, unused, white paper in the input tray.
- Press and hold the On button.
- While holding the On button, press the OK button 4 times, then press the Cancel button 9 times. The message TAP TEST NO = 94 appears on the control panel display.
- Release the On button. The NEDD test page prints.
- On the NEDD test page, make sure that the Functional value, listed under NEDD INFORMATION, is Good. If the value is BAD or FIBER, repeat Step two: Clean the NEDD.
Other solutions customers found helpful
HP Photosmart Pro B9100 and B9180gp Photo Printer Series -- Banding, Streaks, or Lines in the Printout
HP Photosmart Pro B9180 and B9180gp Photo Printers -- Ink Smears, Smudges, or Splatters on the Printout
HP Photosmart Pro B9180 Printers -- Obtaining and Installing the Latest Firmware Update in Microsoft Windows