This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs with Windows Vista.
This document contains information about Microsoft Windows Mail and how to set up an email account.
Requirements for setting up Windows Mail
To set up a Windows Mail account on computers with the Windows Vista operating system installed, you must have:
- an internet connection and
- an internet account with an internet service provider (ISP).
Setting up Windows Mail
To set up Windows Mail, follow the steps below.
- The Windows Mail welcome window opens.
- Click Tools , and then Accounts to open the Internet Accounts window.
- Click Add to open the Select Account Type window.
- Click E-mail Account , and then Next .
- Type a display name (the name the receiver sees after you send an email) into the Display name field, and then click Next .
- Type your email address into the E-mail address field.NOTE:Your email address should consist of the following:
- a name that you chose
- the at "@" symbol
- the name of your ISP with networking extension (such as .net or .com)
- Click Next to open the Set up e-mail servers window.
- Select a type from the Incoming e-mail server type: drop-down list, type the address for the incoming mail server into the Incoming mail (POP3 or IMAP) server: field, and then type the address for the outgoing mail server into the Outgoing e-mail server (SMTP) name: field.Obtain this information from your ISP (or from your network administrator).
- Click Next to open the Internet Mail Logon window. The email address that you entered automatically populates in the E-mail username: field.
- Enter a password in the Password: field. If you want to access email without entering a password each time, click the Remember password check box, and then click Next .
- In the Congratulations window, choose to download email now or later, and then click Finish .
- The Internet Accounts window opens. Verify the email address and the server, and then choose which email account is the default email account (if you have more than one).
Troubleshooting Windows Mail
If you are having problems with Windows Mail, refer to the Microsoft Windows Help and How-to page: Working with Windows Mail (in English)
Microsoft Windows Help and How-to page: Working with Windows Mail (in English)
Microsoft support article 926374: You cannot configure Windows Mail to use a Web-based (HTTP) e-mail account in Windows Vista (in English)
NOTE:One or more of the links above will take you outside the Hewlett-Packard Web site. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside the HP Web site.