Fatal Error 'Error 1904. Cannot install this hardware - Access is denied or Fatal Error' (MSI Error 1904) Message Displays During Software Installation in Windows
During installation of the HP software, the following error message displays on the computer: 'Error 1904. Cannot install this hardware - Access is denied or Fatal Error'. The installation stops and the only option is to click Finish or OK.
HP developed a utility to fix permissions for the Registry keys where the software installer writes the data for the print driver. Follow these steps to download and install the utility.
- Disconnect the USB cable from both the product and the computer (if you already connected it).
- Turn the product on.
- Open a new window to browse to the Get Software and Drivers page:Right-click this link, Get Software and Drivers , and then click Open in New Window.
- Type the product number in the search field, and then click Submit ().
- If necessary, click the link for your product model number.
- Click the Software & Driver Downloads option.
- In the Software & Driver Downloads screen, click your operating system.
- In the Update section, click the Resolves "Access is denied" error during software installation link, and then follow the on-screen instructions to download the utility.
- After downloading, double-click the file: HP tool (AccessDeniedUtility_1_3_4.exe).
- Click OK. The utility scans the Registry.
- Click Done when the utility has finished scanning the Registry.