Frequently Asked Questions About Linux (FAQs)
Is FreeDOS the same as Linux?
No. They are two separate operating systems. For answers to FreeDOS questions, refer to the HP Notebook PCs - Frequently Asked Questions About FreeDOS (FAQs) support document.
What is Linux?
Linux is an open source operating system based on Unix. It is distributed under the GNU General Public License.
How do I open Windows with Linux?
Windows is not installed with Linux. If you want to use Microsoft Windows, it must be installed separately.
Can I use software that works in Windows with Linux?
Windows will not run in Linux without additional emulation software. If you want to use Windows software, you may want to install the Windows operating system on your computer. Visit the Windows Upgrade website (in English).
Can I upgrade my operating system from Linux to Windows?
To find out if your computer hardware is Windows-capable and meets the minimum system requirements to install Windows, visit the Windows Upgrade website (in English).
Where can I find drivers for Linux/Windows?
- For instructions to register the notebook with Novell and recieve updated drivers and software for Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) see: Novell: How to Register your HP Device (Notebook, Desktop, Workstation) with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) (in English).
- HP may not provide drivers, patches, or upgrades for Linux on its HP Pavilion and Presario notebook computers. However, Linux is a free, open source community. Visit the Linux Community Website (in English) and Novell Customer Center on SLED and Software update on MeeGo. (in English) for software and information.
- If you install Windows XP or Windows Vista, many of the drivers are already part of Windows. HP also provides drivers and software for qualified systems on the Software & Driver downloads page:
NOTE:Drivers from HP are provided "as-is" without warranties of any kind.
- Enter your computer model number.
- Choose a software/driver language.
- Select an operating system.
- Look for updated drivers and software.Windows XP : for qualified systems Fall 2006 and prior.Windows Vista : for qualified systems as of Spring 2007.
Where can I find more information about Linux?
Visit www.kernel.org (in English).
Where can I find Technical Support for my computer hardware?
HP provides hardware support. See Contact HP (in English) for details.
NOTE:One or more of the links above will take you outside the Hewlett-Packard Web site. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside the HP Web site.