HP Pavilion 14-c025us Chromebook support
Frequently Asked Questions About FreeDOS (FAQs)
This document applies to HP computers.
Read the list of frequently asked questions to find the most common answers.
Is Linux the same as FreeDOS?
No. They are two separate operating systems. For answers to Linux questions, refer to the HP PCs - Frequently Asked Questions About Linux (FAQs) support document.
What is FreeDOS?
FreeDOS is a disk operating system (DOS) software variant distributed under the GNU General Public License. It is an open source operating system that provides basic operating system functionality on the computer.
How do I open Windows with FreeDOS?
Windows is not installed with FreeDOS. If you want to use Microsoft Windows, it must be installed separately.
Can I use software that works in Windows with FreeDOS?
No, only DOS-based programs work with FreeDOS.
Can I upgrade my operating system from FreeDOS to Windows?
To find out if your computer hardware is Windows-capable and meets the minimum system requirements to install Windows, visit the Microsoft Windows home page (in English).
HP notebook PCs sold with FreeDOS are intended for customers who have a license for and a capability to install their own, additional operating system if desired. You are responsible for obtaining the license for any additional software you install.
Where can I find drivers for FreeDOS/Windows?
- FreeDOS : HP may not provide drivers, patches, or upgrades for FreeDOS on its HP Pavilion and Presario notebook computers. However, FreeDOS is a free, open source community. Visit FreeDOS Web site (in English) for more information.
- Windows : If you install Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, many of the drivers are already part of Windows. HP also provides drivers and software for qualified systems on the HP Consumer Support Web page:
NOTE:Drivers from HP are provided "as-is" without warranties of any kind.The Software and Driver downloads page for your PC model will have the same software and drivers as similar Windows-loaded models. For example, if a similar model supports 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Windows 7, then these drivers will also be available for customers with similar FreeDOS models.HP does not support any Windows operating system on a notebook pre-configured with FreeDOS. Please refer to Microsoft for additional support.
- Enter your computer model number.
- Choose a software/driver language (if prompted).
- Select an operating system.
- Look for updated drivers and software.
Where can I find more information about FreeDOS?
Visit the FreeDOS Web site (in English).
Where can I find Technical Support for my computer hardware?
HP provides hardware support. Refer to the documentation that came with the computer for more details.