HP Color LaserJet CP1215 Printer support
Replacing Print Cartridges
This document contains steps to make sure that the new print cartridge is compatible with your HP product, and to replace an old print cartridge with the new one.
Replacing print cartridges
Follow these steps to replace a print cartridge.
Step one: Check print cartridge compatibility
Before unpacking a new print cartridge, check the following table to make sure that the new print cartridge is compatible with your HP product.
Compare the number from the table with the part number on the print cartridge package.
|Black cartridge||Cyan cartridge||Yellow cartridge||Magenta cartridge|
|HP CB540A||HP CB541A||HP CB542A||HP CB543A|
Step two: Replace the print cartridge
You can watch a video or follow the steps to replace the print cartridge.
Video of replacing the print cartridge
The product shown in the following video might look slightly different from your product, but the steps are the same.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
- Open the front access door.
- Press the blue handle on the print cartridge drawer to release it, and then pull the drawer out.
- Grasp the center of the old print cartridge, and then pull it straight up to remove it.
- To open the box that contains the new print cartridge, pull down on the red tab on the side of the box.
- Remove the package from the box, and then remove the new print cartridge from its packaging.
- Remove the orange, plastic shield from the bottom of the new print cartridge. Do not remove the protective tape from the print cartridge.
- Hold the print cartridge so that the imaging drum faces the bottom of the print cartridge drawer, and then insert the print cartridge into the correct slot.
TIP: Look for color-coded icons on the print cartridge slots to insert the print cartridge in the correct slot.
- Pull the tab on the left side of the print cartridge straight up to completely remove the protective tape. Discard the protective tape.
- Repeat these steps for each print cartridge that you need to replace, making sure that you insert the print cartridge in its correct slot.
- Close the print cartridge drawer.
- Close the front access door.The product control panel displays the message 'Initializing ' while the product prepares the new print cartridges.NOTE:You can recycle the old print cartridge by placing it in the box in which HP shipped the replacement, and then following the recycling instructions in the box.
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum