HP Photosmart B8550 Printer support
Replacing the Printhead Assembly
A printhead assembly is made up of cartridges fitted into printheads. The printhead assembly might need to be replaced when it is damaged or is incompatible with the product. Replacement printhead assemblies are only available from HP Support or authorized service providers.
These steps apply to all countries/regions except the United States.
If HP replaces your printhead assembly under warranty, you receive a new printhead assembly, cleaning materials, and a full set of new cartridges with the replacement printhead.
If your printhead assembly is no longer under warranty, you can purchase a new one online.
- Go to the HP How to Buy website , and then click your country-language.
- A Buy HP page displays. Look for the HP Parts store on this page. The location of the HP Parts store varies depending on your region. Click HP Parts store .
- Under Find your part(s) , type CN642A in the Search by part number text box. Follow the on-screen instructions to order the printhead assembly.
Replacing the printhead assembly
Follow these steps to replace the printhead assembly.
NOTE:Wait until a new printhead assembly is available before removing the cartridges. Do not leave the cartridges outside of the product for longer than 30 minutes. Both the product and the cartridges might be damaged.
Step one: Load paper
Make sure plain white paper is loaded in the main input tray. The product must print an alignment page after printhead replacement.
Step two: Remove the old cartridges
- Make sure that the product is turned on.
- Lift the cartridge door to open it, and then wait until the carriage stops.
- Press the tab on the cartridge to release it, and then remove it from the slot.
- Repeat step three for each cartridge.
Step three: Remove the old printhead
Step four: Clean the electrical contacts inside the product
For successful printhead assembly replacement, it is important to get the electrical contacts inside the printer as clean as possible.
Pre-moistened wipes, labeled with a yellow sticker, are included with the new printhead assembly. Use these wipes to clean the electrical contacts inside the product.
Wipe from the top to the bottom of the electrical contacts, in one direction only. Do not wipe up and down or side to side. As the wipes become dirty, discard them and open new ones.
Step five: Install the new printhead
- Remove the new printhead from its package.CAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored electrical contacts. Do not scratch the electrical contacts on the product or any other surface.
- Hold the printhead upright with the colored shape icons on the top.
- Lower the printhead into the carriage.
- Carefully lower the latch handle.Figure 11: Lower the latch handle
Step six: Install the new cartridges
NOTE:Do not reuse the old cartridges. They might damage the new printhead.
- Remove the new cartridge from its package by pulling the orange pull-tab straight back to remove the plastic wrap from the cartridge.
- Twist the orange cap to snap it off.NOTE:A forceful twist might be required to remove the orange cap.
- Using the colored shape icons for help, slide the cartridge into the empty slot until it clicks into place and is seated firmly in the slot.CAUTION:Do not lift the latch handle on the carriage to install the cartridges. Doing so can result in incorrectly seated cartridges and printing issues. The latch must remain down in order to correctly install the cartridges.Make sure that you insert the cartridge into the slot that has the same shape icon and color as the one that is being installed.NOTE:Repeat steps one through three for each cartridge to be replaced.
- Close the cartridge access door.Figure 15: Close the cartridge access door
- Look at the control panel display and follow any instructions that appear on the display.
Step seven: Return failed parts to HP
If the new printhead assembly came with a post-paid mailing label and instructions to return the failed parts to HP, please do so. HP would like to analyze the parts in order to improve our products in the future.
If a post-paid return mailing label is not included with the new printhead assembly, you are done, and there is no need to continue troubleshooting.
- Put the old printhead into the plastic package that the new printhead came in.
- Peel off the lid sticker labeled B and use it to seal the printhead assembly package.
- Use the orange caps from the new cartridges to cap the old cartridges.
- Put the old parts and the form that came with the new parts into the box the new parts came in. If possible, also include a sample printout that shows the issue with the old printhead.
- Close the box, apply the post-paid mailing label, and then put the box in the mail.