HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer - A910g support
Cleaning the Printhead Contacts
This document provides instructions for cleaning the electrical contacts on the printheads and inside the product.
HP recommends this procedure for troubleshooting error conditions, such as error messages or blinking lights on the control panel. Do not clean the contacts as a matter of routine or without being instructed to do so.
Cleaning the printhead contacts
Follow these steps to clean the electrical contacts on the printheads and inside the product.
Step one: Clean the contacts on the printhead
CAUTION:Electrical contacts contain sensitive electronic components that damage easily.
- Gather the following materials:
- Dry, soft, lint-free cleaning cloths (coffee filters and eyeglass-cleaning cloths work well)
- Paper towels or clean sheets of paper
- Lift the carriage-access door. The door rests in an open position.
- Press and hold the * button for five seconds. The carriage moves to the left side of the product.
- Unplug the power cord from the rear of the product.
- Inside the product, lift the blue printhead latch.
- Lift the handle of the printhead, and then pull the printhead out of its slot.
- Hold the printhead by its sides, and wipe the electrical contacts on the printhead with the cloth. Do not touch the nozzles.CAUTION:Do not use water or other cleaning materials.Do not touch the nozzles on the printhead.
- Set the printhead on a sheet of paper or paper towel with the nozzles facing up.
- If necessary, repeat these steps to print the other printhead.
Step two: Clean the contacts inside the All-in-One
- With a fresh cloth, wipe the electrical contacts inside the carriage.
- Plug in the power cord to the rear of the product.
- Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product, if it does not turn on automatically. The message 'Printhead missing ' displays on the control panel.
- Hold the printhead by its sides with the nozzles toward the product, and then insert the printhead into its color-coded slot.
- Insert the Black/Yellow printhead into the slot on the left.
- Insert the Magenta/Cyan printhead into the slot on the right.
- Repeat these steps to insert the other printhead into its color-coded slot.
- Pull the blue printhead latch all the way forward, and then press down to fully engage the latch. You might have to apply some pressure to engage the latch.
- Close the product lid.
- Wait for the product to initialize the printheads and print an alignment page. This process takes about 20 seconds.
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum