Follow the instructions below to replace the printheads in the product.
Video of replacing the printhead and cartridges
The following video demonstrates how to replace the cartridges and the printhead. You do not necessarily need to replace the cartridges. Simply refer to the video for replacing the printhead, and then stop the video.
The following video demonstrates replacing printheads and cartridges.
NOTE:This video shows the HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer. The outside of the printer might not look the same as your printer, but the steps are the same.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
Replacing the printheads
Use the following steps to replace the printheads.
Step one: Remove the old printhead
- Open the cover on the product, and then lift the printhead latch.
- If the carriage does not move to the left automatically, press and hold the Star button (*) for three seconds. Wait for the carriage to stop moving.CAUTION: Do not proceed until the carriage is on the left side of the printer. The printhead can be damaged if the carriage is not all the way to the left for printhead installation. If the carriage does not move to the left automatically, turn the printer off and back on. Press and hold the Star button (*) again for three seconds.
- Lift the handle of the old printhead, and then use it to pull the printhead out of its slot.
Step two: Install the new printheads
Follow the steps below to replace the printheads.
- Before installing the new printhead, shake the printhead up and down at least six times while the printhead is still in its packaging.
- Remove the new printhead from its package, and then remove its orange protective caps.CAUTION:Do not shake printheads after the caps are removed.
- Insert the printhead into its color-coded slot. The label on the printhead must match the label on the printhead latch. Press down firmly on the printhead to ensure proper contact.
- Pull the printhead latch all the way forward, and then press down to ensure that the latch is properly engaged. You might have to apply some pressure to engage the latch.
- Close the cover on the product.
Step three: Align the printheads
Whenever you insert or replace a printhead, the product automatically aligns the printheads to ensure the best print quality. If the HP product does not print the alignment page automatically, start the alignment process manually.
Follow these steps to align the printheads manually.
- Press the Setup button ( ) on the control panel, and then press 6 on the keypad or scroll to Tools .
- Press 4 on the keypad or scroll to Align Printer . The alignment process starts.