HP Officejet 6500 Wireless All-in-One Printer - E709n support
Cleaning the Printhead
This document contains steps for cleaning the printhead with a printhead-cleaning tool. This process runs ink through the nozzles to try to unclog and clean the printhead inside the product.
You can use the cleaning process to resolve print-quality issues, such as streaks or smears in the printout.
NOTE:Because this process uses ink, HP recommends that you do not clean the printhead unnecessarily to avoid wasting ink.
Cleaning the printhead
Use one of the following methods to run the printhead-cleaning tool.
NOTE:The cleaning process might take several minutes to complete.
Method one: Clean the printhead from the HP All-in-One control panel
Follow these steps to run the printhead-cleaning tool from the product control panel.
- Load letter, A4, or legal size, unused, plain, white paper into the main input tray.
- On the product control panel, press the Setup button ().
- Press the Right Arrow button () to select Tools, and then press OK.
- Press the Right Arrow button () to select Clean Printhead, and then press OK. The product cleans the printhead.
- Press the Back button () to return to the main screen.
Method two: Clean the printhead using HP Solution Center
Follow these steps to run the printhead-cleaning tool from HP Solution Center, which is a component of the software that shipped with your product.
- Open HP Solution Center:
HP Solution Center opens in a new window.
- Windows XP: Click Start, click All Programs, click HP, and then click HP Solution Center.
- Windows Vista: Click the Windows icon (), click All Programs, click HP, and then click HP Solution Center.
- Click Settings (), and then click Printer Toolbox. The printer Toolbox opens.
- Click the Services tab, and then click Clean Printhead.
- Click Clean to begin the cleaning process, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process. A test page prints after the cleaning process completes.
- Recycle or discard the test page.
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum