HP Officejet 6500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer - E710n support
Replacing the Printhead Assembly
Install a new printhead assembly when the existing printhead assembly is damaged or is incompatible with the product. Replacement printhead assemblies are only available from HP Support or authorized service providers.
Ordering the printhead assembly
If HP replaces your printhead assembly under warranty, you receive a new printhead assembly, cleaning materials, and a full set of new cartridges. If your printhead assembly is no longer under warranty, call the HP Customer Care Center for assistance.
Replacing the printhead assembly
Follow these steps to replace the printhead assembly.
CAUTION:Wait until you have a new printhead assembly available before removing the cartridges. HP recommends that you do not leave the cartridges outside the product longer than 30 minutes. This could damage both the product and the cartridges.
Step one: Load paper
Follow these steps to load plain paper into the product.
- Lift the output tray.
- Insert the stack of paper print-side down along the right side of the paper tray.
- Adjust the paper-width guide so it rests against the edge of the paper.
- Close the output tray.
- Pull out the extension on the output tray, and then open the paper catch at the end of the output tray extension.
Step two: Replace the printhead
Follow these steps to replace the printhead.
CAUTION:Do not remove the old cartridges until you have the replacement printhead available.
- Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the center of the product. Wait until the carriage stops moving before proceeding.
- Press in the tab on the front of one of the cartridges, and then pull it out and up to remove it from its slot.
- Repeat this step to remove all cartridges from their slots.
- Lift the gray latch on the printhead assembly.
- Remove the old printhead from its slot.CAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored contacts. Do not let the contacts touch any surface, and be careful not to scratch the contacts while inserting the cartridges.
- Clean the electrical contacts inside the product. The replacement printhead assembly comes with pre-moistened wipes.Use these wipes to clean the electrical contacts inside the product. Wipe from the top to the bottom of the electrical contacts, in one direction only. As the wipes become dirty, discard them and open new ones.CAUTION:Do not wipe up and down or side to side, as doing so can damage the product.
- Remove the new printhead from its packaging.
- Hold the printhead upright, with the color-coded icons facing up.
- Lower the printhead into the product so that the purple and green blocks on the printhead align with the purple and green blocks on the product.
- Slowly lower the gray latch.
- With the cartridge contacts facing the printhead, slide the cartridge into the correct slot. The color-coded icons on the cartridge and in the printhead indicate the correct slot.
- Press down on the cartridge until it clicks firmly into place.
- Repeat these steps to insert all the cartridges, and then close the cartridge access door.
Step three: Return failed parts to HP
HP will analyze the failed parts to improve its products in the future. If the new printhead assembly came with a prepaid mailing label and return instructions, follow these steps to return the failed parts to HP.
NOTE:HP does not ask that all failed parts be returned, so you might have a prepaid mailing label and return instructions. You can ignore these steps if you did not receive the return documents.
- Put the old printhead assembly into the package that the new part came in.
- Peel off the lid sticker labeled ‘B’ and use it to seal the printhead assembly package.
- Use the orange caps from the new cartridges to cap the old cartridges.
- Put the old parts and the form that came with the new parts into the box the new parts came in. If possible, also include a print sample showing the issue with the old printhead.
- Close the box, apply the prepaid mailing label, and then put the package in the mail.
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum