HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer - E709a support
Setting up the All-in-One (Hardware)
This document explains how to set up the physical parts of the product. Complete these steps before you install the product software on your computer. If you already set up the product hardware, and need software installation help, see Links to Software Installation Instructions at the end of this document.
This document includes the following steps to set up the product:
- Unpack the All-in-One
- Attach the control panel faceplate
- Install the two-sided printing accessory (duplexer)
- Connect the power cord
- Load plain white paper
- Turn the All-in-One on
- Set the control panel language
- Install the printhead
- Install the cartridges
If you have not already set up the hardware, follow the steps in this document to do so first. But, if you have already installed the hardware and are just looking for the driver to download, or for instructions on how to install the software, here are some shortcuts:
Important : You must set up the hardware and install the HP software before setting up the fax. However, if you have already done so, you can skip directly to the fax setup instructions: Setting Up the All-in-One to Send and Receive Faxes (c01656545) (in English).
Setting up the All-in-One
Follow these steps in order. When you are finished, you can click the appropriate link at the end of this document if you need instructions to install the printer software.
NOTE:Do not connect a USB cable now. If you plan to use a USB cable to connect the printer to the computer, you will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during the software installation.
Step one: Unpack the All-in-One
Follow these steps to unpack the product.
- Remove all tape and packing materials outside the product.
- Lift the product lid, and then remove all tape and packing materials inside the product and on the paper tray.
- Remove all tape and packing materials from the rear of the product.
Step two: Attach the control panel faceplate
If the control panel faceplate is not already installed, follow these steps to install it.
Step three: Install the two-sided printing accessory (duplexer)
If your model includes a two-sided printing accessory (duplexer), follow these steps to install it.
- Find the duplexer in the box, and then remove it from its packing material. Remove any tape from the duplexer.
- Turn the product to access its rear side.
- Hold the duplexer by its sides with the rollers toward the product, and then insert it into the slot on the rear of the product.NOTE:Look for the engraved arrows on the duplexer for help positioning it.
- Push the duplexer into the product until it snaps into place.
Step four: Connect the power cord
- Turn the product to access its rear side.
- Plug the power cord into the rear of the product.
- Connect the power cord to the power supply.
- Plug the other end of the power cord into an electrical outlet.
Step five: Load plain white paper
- Lift the output tray.
- Insert the stack of paper print-side down along the right side of the paper tray.
- Adjust the paper-width guide so it rests against the edge of the paper.
- Close the output tray.
- Pull out the extension on the output tray, and then open the paper catch at the end of the output tray extension.
Step six: Turn the All-in-One on
Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
Step seven: Set the control panel language
If the language on the control panel defaults to a language other than what you prefer, follow these steps to set it.
Step eight: Install the printhead
Follow these steps to install the printhead.
- Open the cartridge access door.
- Lift the gray latch on the printhead assembly.
- Remove the printhead from its packaging.CAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored contacts. Do not let the contacts touch any surface and be careful not to scratch the contacts while inserting the ink cartridges.
- Hold the printhead upright, with the color-coded icons facing up.
- Lower the printhead into the product so that the purple and green blocks on the printhead align with the purple and green blocks on the product.
- Slowly lower the gray latch.
Step nine: Install the cartridges
Follow these steps to install the cartridges.
- On one of the cartridges, pull the orange pull-tab straight back to remove the plastic wrap.
- Twist the orange cap counterclockwise to snap it off the cartridge.
- With the cartridge contacts facing the printhead, slide the cartridge into the correct slot. The color-coded icons on the cartridge and in the printhead indicate the correct slot.
- Press down on the cartridge until it clicks firmly into place.
- Repeat these steps for each cartridge.
- Close the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the right side of the product.
- Wait for the product to align the cartridges and print an alignment page. This process takes about 10 minutes.NOTE:Mechanical noises during alignment are normal.
Links to software installation instructions
After you complete the previous setup steps, you can install the product software with the product CD or by downloading the software from the HP website. For instructions, click the link for your computer operating system.
CAUTION:For USB connections, do NOT connect the USB cable yet. You will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during software installation.