To prevent print quality issues, replace the cartridges when they are low or out of ink.
Follow these steps to replace a cartridge in the product, and then align the new cartridge.
Step one: Replace the old cartridge
- Open the output tray.
- Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
- Pull out the paper tray extender.
- Make sure you have plain white paper loaded in the input tray.
- Open the cartridge door.
- Wait until the carriage moves to the center of the product and is idle and quiet.
- Press down on the old cartridge, and then slide it out of the carriage.
- Remove one of the cartridges from its packaging, and then pull the pink pull-tab to remove the protective tape from the nozzles.CAUTION:Do not touch the cartridge contacts or nozzles.
- Hold the cartridge by its sides.
- Insert the cartridge into its designated slot. The black parallelogram icon ( ) designates the slot for the black cartridge, and the magenta half circle icon ( ) designates the slot for the color cartridge.
- Press the cartridge in to snap it into place.
- Repeat these steps to replace the other cartridge.
- Close the cartridge door.
Step two: Align the new cartridge
The cartridges should be aligned in order to maintain the best print quality possible. Make sure Letter or A4, plain white paper, is loaded in the input tray.
- Open HP Solution Center using one of the following methods.
- Windows Vista: On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , point to HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
- Windows XP: On the Windows taskbar, click Start , click All Programs , point to HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
- Click Settings , and then click Printer Toolbox . The Printer Toolbox dialog box opens.
- Click Align the Print Cartridges .
- Click Align , and then follow the on-screen instructions.The product prints a test page, aligns the ink cartridges, and calibrates the product.