This document describes how to set up the product hardware and install the software.
Setting up a new printer
Follow these steps to set up the product hardware and install the software.
CAUTION:Do not connect the USB cable until these steps prompt you to do so.
Step one: Verify the box contents
Make sure the box contains the following items along with the new HP product:
Step two: Unpack the printer
Step three: Connect the power
CAUTION:Do not connect the USB cable at this stage.
- Turn the product to access its rear side.
- Plug the power cord into the rear of the product.
- Connect the power cord to the power supply.
- Plug the other end of the power cord into an electrical outlet.
- Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
Step four: Load plain paper
- Open the paper tray.
- Pull out the paper tray extender.
- Lift up the paper stop at the end of the paper tray extender.
- Slide the paper-width guide to its outermost position.
- Load the stack of paper into the paper tray with the short edge forward and the print side down. Slide the paper under the output platform, and push it forward until it stops.
- Slide the paper guide inward until it rests against the paper.
Step five: Install the cartridges
- Open the cartridge door.
- Wait until the carriage moves to the center of the product and is idle and silent.
- Remove one of the new cartridges from its packaging, and then pull the pink pull-tab to remove the protective tape from the nozzles.CAUTION:Do not touch the cartridge contacts or ink nozzles
- Hold the cartridge by its sides.
- Insert the cartridge into its designated slot. The black parallelogram icon ( ) designates the slot for the black cartridge, and the magenta half circle icon ( ) designates the slot for the color cartridge.
- Press the cartridge in to snap it into place.
- Repeat these steps to replace the other cartridge.
- Close the cartridge door.When you close the cartridge door, a cartridge alignment process begins automatically within 90 seconds.
- If the alignment process does begin automatically , skip the next step, and continue to the following step to install the software.
- If the alignment process does not begin automatically , continue to the next step to align the cartridges manually.
Step six: Align the cartridges
- Open HP Solution Center using one of the following methods.
- Windows Vista: On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , point to HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
- Windows XP: On the Windows taskbar, click Start , click All Programs , point to HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
- Click Settings , and then click Printer Toolbox . The Printer Toolbox dialog box opens.
- Click Align the Print Cartridges .
- Click Align , and then follow the on-screen instructions.The product prints a test page, aligns the ink cartridges, and calibrates the product.
Step seven: Install the software
Use one of the following options to install the software.
NOTE:If you do not have the software CD, see Option three at the end of this section to download and install the software.
Option one: Install the software from the CD on a Windows computer
- Insert the software CD into the CD drive of the computer.CAUTION:Do not connect the USB cable yet.
- Follow the on-screen instructions until the software prompts you to connect the USB cable.
- When prompted, connect the USB cable to the rear of the product and to the computer.
- Continue to follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.