This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs with Windows Vista.
Sound problems can occur for many reasons. However, this document only addresses sound problems that are associated with the following error messages:
- 'No Audio Device is Installed'
- 'Audio service is not running'
Resolving the Errors
Sometimes error messages such as 'No Audio Device is Installed' or 'Audio service is not running' occur when opening the volume control by double-clicking the volume icon from the system tray.
To resolve the error, follow the steps below.
- Click Start , type services.msc into the search field, and then select services.msc from the list when it becomes available to open the Programs window.
- Grant permission to continue, if prompted.
- Scroll down to and select Windows Audio , right-click to open the drop-down menu, and then click Start .
- Right-click Windows Audio , click Properties , and then verify that Startup Type is set to Automatic .The Windows Audio service is now running. The error message should close.