Compaq Presario CQ5810 Desktop PC support
Uninstalling Software (Windows 7)
This document pertains to HP and Compaq PCs with Windows 7.
The process for uninstalling software in Windows 7 is explained in this document. Follow the steps provided to remove unwanted software from your Windows 7 computer.
Removing software with the Uninstall a program feature in Windows 7
To remove programs and software components in Windows 7 from your computer hard disk drive, follow these steps:
- Click Start , and then click Control Panel.
- Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.The Uninstall or change a program window opens.
- Select the program you want to remove.
- Click Uninstall or Uninstall/Change at the top of the program list.
- Read and respond to any messages that might open while the software is being removed from your computer.
Removing software not listed in the Uninstall a program window in Windows 7
If the program you want to uninstall is not listed in the Uninstall a Program window, use the Turning a Windows feature on or off option on the left side of the Programs window.
- Click Start , then click Control Panel. Click Programs, and then click Turn Windows features on or off.If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- To turn a Windows feature on, select the checkbox next to it, and then click OK.To turn a Windows feature off, remove the selection, and click OK.
Uninstalling a program in the Registry Editor in Windows 7
Use the following steps only if you cannot find the software listed in the Uninstall a Program window or in the Windows Features window.
CAUTION:The following procedure involves editing the Windows registry. Incorrectly editing the registry could cause Windows to not start. Create a backup of the registry before carefully following the steps.
- If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.The Registry Editor opens.
- Back up the registry. For more information, see Backing up the Windows registry .
- Once the registry has been backed up, click the plus sign next to the following key names in the left pane of the Registry Editor:
- HKEY LOCAL MACHINE
- CURRENT VERSION
- Under Uninstall, select the key name of the software that you want to uninstall.
- With the software name selected, double-click UninstallString in the right pane.
- Select the entire text in the Value data field.
- Right-click the highlighted text and click Copy.
- Click Cancel, and then close the Registry Editor window.
- Click Start .
- In the Search field, right-click and select Paste.The UninstallString value data you copied previously is pasted into the field.
- Press the Enter key.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the software.