Setting Up Windows 7 for the First Time
This document pertains to HP Notebook computers with Windows 7.
This document contains information about setting up your computer and configuring Windows 7 for the first time. To set up your new computer, unpack the computer, power it on, and then complete the Windows 7 and HP Total Care setup processes.
Setting up the computer for the first time
Complete the following steps to set up the computer:
- Unpack the box.
- Insert the battery.
- Connect the AC adapter to the computer and then connect the adapter to a wall outlet.
- Press the power button to power on the computer.NOTE:Do not turn off your computer during the setup process. Turning off the computer aborts the setup process. If you abort the process, the next time you start the computer the first set up screen displays, allowing you to begin the setup process again.NOTE:During the setup process, Windows 7 may take a long time to process an item without visual feedback on the screen to indicate progress. This is normal . Do not restart the computer or stop the setup process.The following screens display as you power on the computer:
- The Windows 7 logo displays on a black screen.
- A Microsoft screen displays the following message: Setup is preparing your computer for the first use .
Setting up Windows 7
During the setup process, you create a user name and password, verify the correct time and date, and then choose your Internet network.
Creating a user name and password
- Create a User name . (This user name is for the administrator of the computer.)
- Type the selected user name in the text box, and then click Next .
- On the next screen, type the password in the text box, retype the password in the next box, and then click Next .
The next screen requests confirmation that you accept the Software License Terms and the End User License Agreement .
Click both check boxes and then click Next .
Protecting your computer
The next screen displays options for protecting the security of your computer and for receiving Windows updates.
You have three choices: Use recommended settings (automatically downloads and installs all updates provided by Microsoft), Install important updates only (only downloads and installs critical updates), and Ask me later . HP recommends that you select the Use recommended settings option.
Click the option you wish to use.
Choosing your computer's network
If you have a home network, connect with an ethernet cable or activate the Wireless feature before continuing. For assistance, click here to learn how to Resolving Broadband Internet Connection Problems (Windows 7) or HP Notebook PCs Setting Up a New Wireless Local Area Network in Windows Vista .
Use the following steps to setup your computer network:
- Choose a wireless network from the list.If you do not see your network, click Connect to a hidden wireless network , enter the network name, and select the security type and encryption type. Or, click Skip to continue without a wireless connection and set it up later.
- From the next screen, select one of the following locations for your computer:
- Home network: Select this location if all the computers on this network are at your home and you recognize them. This is a trusted home network.
- Work network: Select this location if all the computers on this network are at your workplace and you recognize them. This is a trusted work network.
- Public network: Select this location if you do not recognize all the computers on the network. (For example, you are in a coffee shop or airport, or you have mobile broadband.) This is a public network and is not trusted.
- Click the location where you will most often use the computer.
Completing Windows 7 Setup
After completing Windows 7 setup, a Preparing your desktop screen displays. Please allow several minutes for Windows to save your settings.
HP Total Care Assistant Setup
When the Windows 7 setup is complete, a Welcome to your new HP Computer screen opens. Click the green Go button to begin setting up HP Total Care Assistant.
HP Total Care Assistant is a diagnostic tool for your computer and can solve many computer problems. The program is included at no extra cost with the purchase of your new computer.
To set up your HP Total Care Assistant, follow the steps below:
- Enter your contact information to register and get better access to technical support and helpful information from HP.
- Select Yes to download and install updates and alerts automatically. Also, select to participate in the HP Experience Improvement Program. Click Next to continue.
- Select Yes to activate the trial version of anti-virus software that will protect your computer. Also, select the checkbox to accept the User Agreement to the anti-virus software. Click Next to continue.
The next window provides a review the actions you have just taken with HP Total Care setup. Click Finish to complete the setup process and continue to the Windows 7 Desktop screen. Once you are at the desktop screen, you can continue to use your computer normally.
HP Total Care Assistant technical support
If you have any questions about the HP Total Care Assistant, see the following support document, HP Notebook PCs - HP Advisor Version 3.x . Alternatively, you can go to the HP Support web site . At the web site, click your region, language, and then click Contact Us at the top of the browser window to contact an HP Support Agent.