HP Deskjet 5550 Color Inkjet Printer support
Installing the Printer Software in Windows 7 for a USB Cable Connection
The drivers for your HP product are already included in the new Windows 7 operating system! You do not need to download drivers to use the product. Simply connect the printer to your computer with a USB cable, and Windows 7 automatically installs the driver for your product.
With the in-OS
driver some of the buttons on the product do not function and some of the advanced product features are not available. For more information about your in-OS driver, and to see workarounds for lost functionality, go to our Frequently asked questions below.
The driver located in the Windows 7 operating system
Install the Windows 7 in-Operating System (in-OS) print driver
When you connect the product to the computer, Windows 7 detects the hardware and automatically installs the correct driver. A notification lets you know when installation begins and when it is complete. You do not have to download any software or insert the product CD.
Step one: Install the in-OS driver
Follow these steps to install the basic driver in Windows 7.
- Turn the product on.
- Connect the USB cable to the product, and then to the computer.
- Windows 7 detects the hardware and automatically installs the correct driver. A notification window displays on your computer to let you know when installation is complete.
Your basic Windows 7 driver is now installed. Some functions might not be available, but you can use workaround procedures instead. See our Frequently asked questions below.
Step two: Print a document
Print from any software program to make sure your printer is working correctly.
- Open a document in the software application in which it was created.
- Click File, and then click Print.
Frequently Asked Questions
Note the following limited functionalities with an in-OS driver:
- No access to HP Solution Center. You will not have access to HP Solution Center (). However, see the workarounds at the end of this document for ways to accomplish tasks as you did before.
- Limited functionality in HP Toolbox. You can still access the HP Toolbox () with the in-OS driver. However, the HP Toolbox functionality is limited. For example, you are unable to check estimated ink levels. See the workarounds at the end of this document for ways to accomplish some common HP Toolbox tasks.
- Importing and viewing images on a memory card. If your product has a memory card slot, you can use the workaround at the end of this document to import and view images on a memory card.
- Limited button functionality. If your HP product has buttons on the front panel, some of the buttons will not function as before. Following are examples of buttons that function and buttons that do not function with the in-OS driver:
These buttons will still function* Power button () Menu button () Resume button () Cancel button () Print Photos button () This button will not function* Photosmart Essentials button () *These lists are not comprehensive.
Use these steps to print from a software program.
- Open the document to be printed in the software application in which it was created.
- Click File, and then click Print.
Video of how to print from a software program
Watch the following video for a demonstration of printing from a software program with Windows 7 operating system.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
If your product has a memory card slot, follow these steps to access images on a memory card.
- Insert the memory card into the appropriate memory card slot on the product.NOTE:If the memory card is already inserted, remove it, and then reinsert it.
- On the Autoplay window that opens, click Import Pictures, View Pictures, or Open folder to view files.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Video of importing and viewing images on a memory card
The following video demonstrates how to import and view images on a memory card in Windows 7.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube.
Use the following workarounds to gain Solution Center and Toolbox functionality in the in-OS driver.
Use the following HP Solution Center workarounds when you install the product with the driver in Windows 7.
|HP Solution Center|
|Limited access to the HP Toolbox||From the program you are using to print: |
|Printer Settings||From the program you are using to print: |
Use the following HP Toolbox workarounds when you install the product using the driver in Windows 7.
|Printing a self-test page||For products with buttons on the control panel (the front of the printer), you can print a self-test page using those buttons.|
|Cleaning the cartridges or printheads||None|
|Checking estimated ink levels|
|Aligning the cartridges||None|
Visit HP Consumer Forums or the HP Store for additional information.
To find an HP printer or All-in-One that provides all the great features you’re looking for, click here to visit the HP Store (US only) on the HP website.