This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs that were purchased with Windows Vista or Windows XP.
Software and driver support for HP notebooks
HP has tested and qualified software and drivers to support the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system for the series listed in the following table.
HP notebook series supported with Windows 7
The following series HP notebook PCs are supported with Windows 7. HP has tested and developed software and drivers to support Windows 7 for these series. To get the latest drivers when they are available, return to the Software and Driver Download page for your model frequently.
NOTE:Notebook PCs that are not listed in the following table will not be supported by HP with Windows 7. HP does not plan to release Windows 7 drivers or software for notebook models that are not listed in the following table.
|HP and Compaq Consumer Notebook Series PCs||HP Business Notebook Series PCs|
|HP Pavilion dv2-XXX||HP Touchsmart tx2-XXX||Compaq Presario CQ35-XXX||HP Compaq 2510p Notebook PC||HP Compaq 6910p Notebook PC|
|HP Pavilion dv3-XXX||HP Touchsmart tx2500||Compaq Presario CQ40-XXX||HP Compaq 2710p Notebook PC||HP Compaq 8510p Notebook PC|
|HP Pavilion dv4-XXX||HP HDX 16-XXX||Compaq Presario CQ45-XXX||HP Compaq 6510b Notebook PC||HP Compaq 8510w Mobile Workstation|
|HP Pavilion dv5-XXX||HP HDX 18-XXX||Compaq Presario CQ50-XXX||HP Compaq 6520s Notebook PC||HP Compaq 8710p Notebook PC|
|HP Pavilion dv6-XXX||HP G50-XXX||Compaq Presario CQ60-XXX||HP Compaq 6530b Notebook PC||HP Compaq 8710w Mobile Workstation|
|HP Pavilion dv7-XXX||HP G60-XXX||Compaq Presario CQ61-XXX||HP Compaq 6535b Notebook PC||HP EliteBook 2530p Notebook PC|
|HP Pavilion dv3500||HP G61-XXX||Compaq Presario CQ70-XXX||HP Compaq 6710b Notebook PC||HP EliteBook 2730p Notebook PC|
|HP G70-XXX||Compaq Presario CQ71-XXX||HP Compaq 6720b Notebook PC||HP EliteBook 6930p Notebook PC|
|HP G71-XXX||HP Compaq 6730b Notebook PC||HP EliteBook 8530p Notebook PC|
|HP Compaq 6730b Notebook PC||HP EliteBook 8530w Mobile Workstation|
|HP Compaq 6735b Notebook PC||HP EliteBook 8730w Mobile Workstation|
NOTE:The HP Pavilion series models shown in this chart with a dash after the dv number (example: Pavilion dv5-1001), are different than the Pavilion dv series with a four digit number and no dash (example: Pavilion dv5001). As a specific example; HP Pavilion dv5-1001au Entertainment Notebook PC can be upgraded to Windows 7 and drivers are available. However, HP Pavilion dv5001au Notebook PC is supported for Windows Vista, and no drivers are provided for an unsupported upgrade to Windows 7.
Operating system requirements for upgrades
Upgrades from Windows Vista must be to the same language and architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) as the version of Windows 7. Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Ultimate, and Windows Vista Business are the only supported versions of Vista that can be upgraded to Windows 7. For any other version of Windows Vista a custom install of Windows 7 is required.
You cannot upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. Perform a custom install to upgrade from Windows XP. A custom install replaces the current operating system, and does not preserve software applications, data, or settings.
Software and drivers provided by HP for Windows 7 are compatible with either the upgrade or custom install process.
Finding software and drivers for notebooks that HP does not support with Windows 7
HP does not plan to release Windows 7 drivers or software for notebook models that are not listed in the previous table. However, certain models that are not listed in the table may meet the minimum system requirements of Windows 7. Try the following options for locating software and drivers for models not listed in the previous table:
NOTE:HP cannot provide technical support or diagnose potential hardware issues until you reinstall the original operating system.
- Join other HP notebook users looking for software and drivers in the HP Consumer Support Forum at www.hp.com/support/Consumer-forum (in English).
- Use Microsoft Update to install the Microsoft version of the hardware driver. See Using Windows Update Program to Update Microsoft Software in Windows 7 .
- Check the Software and Driver Download page for your model PC. Certain Windows 7 software and drivers may be available for download. Some Vista software and drivers may be compatible with Windows 7.
- Check the list of devices that are on your computer, and go to the manufacturers' web sites for information about what drivers they provide for their devices. Please be aware that some components work together, and if drivers for one component are not available, then the other devices may function poorly, or not at all.
- Check the list of software that is installed on your computer, and go to the manufacturers' web sites for information about updates or upgrades to their software.