HP LaserJet 1018 Printer support
'Unsupported Personality: PCL' Error Page Prints
During normal use of the product, an 'Unsupported Personality: PCL' error page prints.
Follow these steps to download and install the most current print drivers for your product.
Step one: Download the print drivers
Many products have more than one driver available. The following information might help you decide which driver to download.
NOTE:Your product might not support all of the following drivers.
IMPORTANT: The Basic driver does not run all the features that your product has. For example, for multifunction products, you can only scan an image from the glass one page at a time. Also, you cannot scan to an editable text file such as a PDF file or Word document, or scan with the button on the product control panel.
NOTE: During the Full Feature installation process, you can choose a custom installation, where you select the specific software items that you want to install.
|Plug and Play|
CAUTION:During installation, wait for the on-screen prompt before you plug the USB cable into the product.
|Automatically installs the printer driver and the USB port.|
|PostScript||Adobe’s PostScript software interfaces with your product to produce sharp graphics and to handle multiple printing fonts.|
|PCL6 USB||Provides basic print and scan functionality.|
HP recommends the Full Feature type of download, if available, to take advantage of all your product features.
Follow these steps to download the software and driver for your product.
- Turn the product on.
- Disconnect the USB cable from both the product and the computer (if you already connected it).
- Browse to the Get Software and Drivers page: Get Software and Drivers
- Check the instructions on the page, and then click the Plus sign (+) next to the correct heading for additional instructions:
- Type your product number in the window.
- Click Next . If necessary click your model in a list of similar products.
- Click Software and Driver Downloads .
- Click the drop-down arrow ( ), and then click your operating system.
- Click Next , and then continue to the next step.
- Click Software and Driver Downloads .
- Click Next .
- Continue to the next step.
- Click the Plus sign ( ) next to Driver , and then click the driver that you want to download. If you need help deciding, see the information in the previous table.
- Read through the minimum system requirements and additional instructions. You can also click View directions ( ) for complete download instructions.
- Click Download . This option allows you to install the software at any time after the download completes.
- Click Save , and then browse to the location on your computer where you want to save the file.
- Click Save . The software downloads to your computer.Hint: Make a note of the place that you saved the file, in case you want to install it at a later time.
Step two: Install the print driver
Follow these steps to install the downloaded software and driver.
- When the download is complete and you are ready to install the files, click Open Folder , and then click the downloaded file. The file name ends in .exe .NOTE:If you closed the Download Complete screen, browse to the folder where you saved the .exe file, and then click it.
- You can accept the default location to save the files. Click Next , and then wait while the installer extracts the files to prepare for installation.
- When the Install Wizard starts, follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.For a Full Feature installation, you choose what type of installation you want. The following information might help you decide which installation type to use.
Recommended Custom For full use of all your product features : This installation provides full product functionality. HP also includes valuable software to help you get the most out of your product.
This installation type is designed to work for most users.
A custom type of installation might be available for your product. This installation allows you to install the minimum software required or the preferred software.
Use this type of installation only if the computer is low on hard disk space or you attempted a recommended type of installation and received errors. (Try to fix any errors before starting a custom installation.)CAUTION:To avoid unintended loss of product functionality, read the description of each software component carefully during the installation process.The Recommended type of installation allows you to get the most out of your product.
The HP LaserJet 1018 and 1020 series products do not support Printer Command Language (PCL) printing. Because these products do not support PCL, this error occurs by design and is not a bug in the product software.
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum