HP LaserJet Pro 100 color MFP M175a support
The HP Printer Installation Disc Does Not Start Automatically in Windows 7
This document is for HP printers that are connected to a computer running Windows 7.
Software installation does not start automatically when you insert the printer's software installation disc in the Windows 7 computer.
Solution one: Download and install the driver from the HP website
HP recommends to download your printer's most recent driver from the HP website.
- Turn on the printer.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer (if you already connected it). If the printer is connected to your network, leave it connected.
- Go to HP Drivers & Downloads .
- If the Welcome to HP Support page opens, follow these steps:
- Type your printer model number.
- Click Go.You might need to select your printer model number from a list of similar printer models.
- Select your operating system, and then click Next.A list of drivers and other downloads display.
- Scroll down the page, and then click Driver - Product Installation Software.
- Click Download next to the full feature or solution software and driver listed, and then follow the on-screen instructions to save the driver to your computer.
Solution two: Check the installation disc for damage
Follow these steps to check the disc for damage or dirt, and then change the Autoplay setting.
Your disc installation drive might not be able to read a dirty disc. Follow these steps to safely clean the installation disc.
- Remove the software installation disc from the disc drive.
- Insert another CD, such as a music CD or a video DVD, to verify that the disc drive is working correctly.
- If the music CD or video DVD does not play, then there is an issue with the disc drive. Contact the CD drive manufacturer.
- If the music CD or video DVD does play, inspect the HP installation disc for any damage (such as scratches), and then clean the HP installation disc using a soft cloth dampened in distilled water.
- Dry the disc with a lint-free cloth.
- Insert the software installation disc in the disc drive. If the User Account Control window displays at any time during the installation, click Continue.
- If the installation does not start automatically, try inserting the software CD in another CD drive on the computer, if available.
Solution three: Change the Autoplay settings in Windows
Follow these steps to make sure that the Autoplay check box is selected.
- Click the Windows icon (), type autoplay in the Search Programs and Files box, and then press Enter. The Autoplay window opens.
- Under Choose what happens when you insert each type of media or device, make sure that the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices check box is selected. Click the check box if the option is not selected.
- Click Save.
- Insert the printer software installation disc in the disc drive. The installation starts automatically.If the installation window does not display, follow these steps to open the installation setup file from the disc.Click the Windows icon ().Click Computer, and then double-click the CD drive where the printer software is located.Double-click the setup.exe file.NOTE:If nothing displays in the right pane of the Explore window, or if nothing happens when you double-click setup.exe, the CD might be damaged or unusable. Skip to the 'Order a new installation CD from HP' solution in this document.
- If the User Account Control window opens, click Continue.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Solution four: Copy the contents of the printer software installation disc to the hard drive and install
Follow these steps to copy the contents of the disc to the hard drive and install the software.
- On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ().
- Click Computer.
- Double-click C: where C: is the hard drive letter.
- Right-click the Windows desktop, click New, click Folder, type HP Software, and then press Enter.
- On the Windows taskbar, right-click the Windows icon (), and then click Open Windows Explorer. Windows Explorer opens.
- Click the CD drive. The CD contents are listed on the right side of the window.If the CD drive is not displaying in Windows Explorer, click the arrow next to Computer to list all of the drives on the PC.
- Click Organize, and then click Select All.
- With the files still selected, click Organize, and then click Copy.
- Close Windows Explorer.
- Open the HP Software folder created in a previous step.
- Click Organize, and then click Paste.NOTE:If a Cannot copy from source disk or drive or Cannot copy specified file error message opens in Windows 7 and other CDs work correctly in the CD drive, the software CD might be damaged or unusable. Skip to the next solution.
- On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon (), type C:\HP Software\setup.exe in the Search Programs and Files box, and then press Enter.NOTE:If C:\HP Software\setup.exe is not found, type C:\HP Software\hpzsetup.exe instead, and then press Enter.
- Double-click C:\HP Software\setup.exe or C:\HP Software\hpzsetup.exe.
- On the User Account Control window, click Continue.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
Solution five: Order a new installation disc from HP
If you do not have Internet access or a Full Feature driver is not available for download from HP, you can use these steps to order a new installation CD from HP.
- Click this link, Select Software and Drivers .
- If prompted, type your printer number. You might also need to click it in a list of similar printers.
- In the Software & Driver downloads window, click your operating system.
- Click Order Physical Media - CD/DVD/USB.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to order a new software installation disc.
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum