HP LaserJet Pro M1217nfw Multifunction Printer support
Setting Up the Printer for a Wired Network in Mac OS X for the HP LaserJet printers
This document explains how to install the print drivers and other software for your HP printer to use it in a wired (Ethernet) network. Read this if you plan to install the printer software on a networked computer with a Mac OS X 10.5 or later operating system.
Important: Set up the HP hardware before installing the software. If you have not already done so, find the Hardware Setup document for your printer before completing these steps.
NOTE:If you have more than one computer on the network, install the printer software on each computer that you plan to share with the HP printer.
Before you begin: Check requirements
Make sure you have the following items:
- One of the following types of wired access points or routers: Ethernet router, switch, hub, or wireless router with Ethernet ports
- A computer that connects to the wired access point or router
- A Category 5 Ethernet cable to use for the HP product. (Do not use a standard telephone cable.)
Step one: Connect the HP printer to the network
- Remove any plug or protective cover from the Ethernet port on the back of the product.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on the product, and then connect the other end of the cable to an available port on the wired access point or router.
- Connect the power cord to the product, and then plug it into an electrical outlet.
- Turn the product on.
Step two: Decide whether to install with the printer CD or download the software
Don’t worry if you don’t have the product CD! You can download the most current software available for your product from the HP Web site at no cost. The following information might help you decide which installation method to use:
|For a new product:||CD installation is a quick and easy method.||If you do not have a CD, you can download the software you need.|
|For an older product:||CD installation might not work if you are installing the product on a computer running a newer operating system that released AFTER the HP product released.||Downloading the software provides the best results for your older product. Even though it takes more time than using the CD, downloading the latest software can help you avoid installation issues.|
Downloading is the recommended method if your computer operating system released after the HP product released.
|About the software:||The software on the CD is current to the date of the product release.||The software that you can download from the HP Web site is the most current software available for your product. HP often updates software and drivers AFTER the product and CD release to the market.|
Step three: Install the software
To install the printer software, follow the steps for the method that you want to use (CD or download).
NOTE:If you partitioned your hard drive, you must install the driver on the same partition as the operating system.
- Turn on the printer.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer (if you already connected it). If the printer is connected to your network, leave it connected.
- Go to HP Drivers & Downloads .
- If the Welcome to HP Support page opens, follow these steps:
- In the Enter product name or number field, type your printer model or number.
- In the Questions or keywords field, type driver, and then press Enter.You might need to select your printer model number from a list of similar printer models.
- Next to the image of your printer, click the name of your printer.
- On the HP support site, click Drivers.
- Select your operating system, and then click Next.A list of drivers and other downloads display.
- Scroll down the page, and then click Driver - Product Installation Software.
- Click Download next to the full feature software and driver listed, and then follow the prompts to save the driver to your computer.
- Open the folder where the software file saved (usually Downloads), double-click the file, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
- Insert the Macintosh product CD into the CD drive of the computer.
- Double-click the HP software disc icon that displays under the Macintosh HD icon.
- Double-click the HP Installer icon.The HP Installer program opens.
- When prompted, select your HP product, and then click OK.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.