HP Color LaserJet CP1518ni Printer support
Setting Up the Printer for a Wired Network in Windows XP for the HP LaserJet printers
This document explains how to install the print drivers and other software for your HP product to use it in a wired (Ethernet) network. This document also explains how to change your product from a USB install to a network install. Read this if you plan to install the product software on a networked computer with a Windows XP operating system.
NOTE:If you have more than one computer on the network, install the product software on each computer that you plan to share with the HP product.
Before you begin: Check requirements
Make sure you have the following items:
- One of the following types of wired access points or routers: Ethernet router, switch, hub, or wireless router with Ethernet ports
- A computer that connects to the wired access point or router
- A Category 5 Ethernet cable to use for the HP product. (Do not use a standard telephone cable.)
Are you changing from USB connection to Ethernet connection?
If you previously installed the software for a USB connection and now want to change to an Ethernet connection, follow these instructions to remove the USB installation before continuing.
- On the Windows taskbar, click Start (), and then click Printers and Faxes. The Printers and Faxes folder opens.
- Find the icon for your HP product (), and then right-click it.
- Click Delete to remove the product.
- Disconnect the USB cable () from the product and the computer.
Step one: Connect the HP Printer to the network
- Turn the product off.
- Remove any plug or protective cover from the Ethernet port on the back of the product.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on the product, and then connect the other end of the cable to an available port on the wired access point or router.
- Make sure that the power cord is connected to the product and plugged into an electrical outlet.
- Turn the product on, if it is not turned on already.
Step two: Decide whether to install with the product CD or download the software
Don’t worry if you don’t have the product CD! You can download the most current software available for your product from the HP Web site at no cost. The following information might help you decide which installation method to use:
|For a new product:||CD installation is a quick and easy method.||If you do not have a CD, you can download the software you need.|
|For an older product:||CD installation might not work if you are installing the product on a computer running a newer operating system that released AFTER the HP product released.||Downloading the software provides the best results for your older product. Even though it takes more time than using the CD, downloading the latest software can help you avoid installation issues.|
Downloading is the recommended method if your computer operating system released after the HP product released.
|About the software:||The software on the CD is current to the date of the product release.||The software that you can download from the HP Web site is the most current software available for your product. HP often updates software and drivers AFTER the product and CD release to the market.|
Step three: Install the software
When you are ready to begin, follow the instructions for the installation method that you want to use (CD or download). During the installation, choose the option for the network type of connection, not the USB option.
IMPORTANT: If you get any firewall messages during installation, click unblock, accept, continue, yes, allow, or permit, or the installation fails.
Method one: Download and install the software from the HP Web site
Follow these steps to download the software, and then install it.
Step one: Download the software
Many products have more than one driver available. The following information might help you decide which driver to download.
NOTE:Your product might not support some of the following drivers.
IMPORTANT: The Basic driver does not run all the features that your product has. For example, for multifunction products, you can only scan an image from the glass one page at a time. Also, you cannot scan to an editable text file such as a PDF file or Word document, or scan with the button on the product control panel.
NOTE: During the Full Feature installation process, you can choose a custom installation, where you select the specific software items that you want to install.
|Plug and Play|
CAUTION:During installation, wait for the on-screen prompt before you plug the USB cable into the product.
|Automatically installs the printer driver and the USB port.|
|PostScript||Adobe’s PostScript software interfaces with your product to produce sharp graphics and to handle multiple printing fonts.|
|PCL6 USB||Provides basic print and scan functionality.|
HP recommends the Full Feature type of download, if available, to take advantage of all your product features.
Follow these steps to download the software and driver for your product.
- Disconnect the USB cable () from both the product and the computer, if you have not done so already.CAUTION:Do not disconnect the Ethernet cable.
- Open a new window to browse to the Get software and drivers page:Right-click this link, Get software and drivers , and then click Open in New Window.
- If prompted, type your product number, and then click Next. You might also need to click your model in a list of similar products.
- Select your operating system, and then click Next.
- Click the Plus sign () next to Driver, and then click the driver that you want to download.
- Read through the minimum system requirements and additional instructions. You can also click View directions () for complete download instructions.
- Click Download. The File Download - Security Warning dialog box opens.
- Click Save, and then browse to the location on your computer where you want to save the file.
- Click Save. The software downloads to your computer.
TIP Make a note of the place that you saved the file, in case you want to install it at a later time.
Step two: Install the software
Follow these steps to install the downloaded software.
- When the download is complete and you are ready to install the files, click Open Folder, and then click the downloaded file. The file name ends in .exe.NOTE:If you closed the Download Complete screen, browse to the folder where you saved the .exe file, and then click it.
- You can accept the default place to save the files. Click Next, and then wait while the installer extracts the files to prepare for installation.
- When the Install Wizard starts, follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.NOTE:If you have previously installed the software and are changing the connection type from USB to Ethernet, click Add a device when the Uninstall the software or Add a device window opens.For a Full Feature installation, you choose what type of installation you want. The following information might help you decide which installation type to use.
Typical (Recommended) Minimum For full use of all your product features: HP includes valuable software to help you get the most out of your product.
HP designed this installation type to work for most users.
A custom type of installation might be available for your product. This installation allows you to install the minimum software required or the preferred software. Use this type of installation only if you have one of the following reasons:
The Recommended type of installation allows you to get the most out of your product.
- The computer is low on hard disk space.
- You attempted a recommended type of installation and received errors. (If errors occur during the recommended installation, fix them before trying a custom installation.)
Method two: Install the software with the product CD
During the installation, you choose what type of installation you want. The installation type names vary depending on your product. The following information might help you decide which installation type to use.
|Recommended type||Custom type|
|Recommended, Full, or Easy||Custom, Express, or Advanced|
|For full use of all your product features: This installation provides full product functionality. HP also includes valuable software to help you get the most out of your product. |
HP designed this type of installation to work for most users.
|A custom type of installation might be available for your product. This installation allows you to install the minimum software required or the preferred software. |
Use this type of installation only if the computer is low on hard disk space or you attempted a recommended type of installation and received errors. (Try to fix any errors before starting a custom installation.)
CAUTION:To avoid unintended loss of product functionality, read the description of each software component carefully during the installation process.
The Recommended type of installation allows you to take advantage of all your product features.
Follow these steps to install the software with the product CD.
- Insert the product CD into the CD drive of the computer, and then wait a few seconds for the software installer to begin.If the installer does not begin automatically, click Start, click My Computer, and then double-click the CD drive.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.NOTE:If you have previously installed the software and are changing the connection type from USB to Ethernet, click Add a device when the Uninstall the software or Add a device window opens.
IMPORTANT: The installer might ask if you want to check online for the latest installation updates for your product. For the best installation results, HP recommends that you click “Yes” to let the installer check for updates and download them for you.
Other solutions customers found helpful
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum