This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs with Windows 7.
When you are using a USB sound device, such as a headphone, headset, or webcam with microphone, the audio playback stops when you unplug the device. This occurs when Windows does not detect that the USB device was removed and attempts to use the unplugged device.
To resolve this problem, use the following actions:
Use the Windows 7 troubleshooter
- Open the Play Sound troubleshooter by clicking the Start , enter troubleshoot in the search field, and then select Troubleshooting from the list.
- Under Hardware and Sound, click Troubleshoot audio playback . Enter administrator password or confirmation if prompted.
Install updates for your drivers
Most audio compatibility issues can be resolved by installing the latest updated audio drivers by following the steps below.
- Click Start , enter Device in the search field, and then select Device Manager when it becomes available in the list.Device Manager opens.
- Double-click Sound, video, and game controllers . If there is no yellow exclamation point (!) is displayed next to any of the sound devices, go to update the BIOS to the latest version .If a yellow exclamation point (!) is displayed next to any of the sound devices, there is an error with the driver. Most of these errors can be resolved by installing the latest updates for your hardware.
- Verify the computer is connected to the internet and then right-click the driver and then click Update Driver Software... .
- Select either Search automatically for updated driver software or Browse my computer for driver software to locate the updates for your audio drivers.
Update the BIOS to the latest version
Sound driver compatibility issues can be resolved by installing the latest updates for the BIOS. The BIOS is a program that allows the operating system to start when the computer is turned on.
Open a browser and go to HP Software & Driver Downloads for the latest BIOS updates for your computer. See HP Notebook PCs - Locate and Install Updated BIOS, Drivers, and Software .