After upgrading your computer from Windows XP or Windows Vista to the Windows 7 operating system, your product no longer appears in HP Solution Center.
If you installed the product on the computer by connecting the USB cable, the print drivers built into the Windows 7 operating system (in-OS drivers) install automatically. In-OS drivers are drivers that support basic printing, but they do not support HP Solution Center.
Follow these steps to uninstall the in-OS driver, and then install the full version of the HP software for Windows 7 with the CD that came with the product, or from the HP Web site.
Step one: Uninstall the HP software
- Disconnect the USB cable from the HP product.
- On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), and then click All Programs .
- Point to HP , and then point to the folder with the name and model number of your product.NOTE:If an HP folder is not present, or your product is not listed in the HP program folder, continue to the next step.
- Click Uninstall , and then follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the in-OS driver.
Step two: Install the HP software
Choose from the following options to install the product software for Windows 7 on your computer.
Follow these steps to install the HP software with the product CD.
NOTE:Not all CDs include the full driver for Windows 7. Examine the CD that came with your product for a Windows 7 label. If there is no label, the CD does not have the full driver. Use the next method to install the software.
During the installation, you select what type of installation you want. The installation type names vary depending on your product. The following information might help you decide which installation type to use.
|Recommended type||Custom type|
|Recommended , Full , or Easy||Custom , Express , or Advanced|
|For full use of all your product features
: This installation provides full product functionality. HP also includes valuable software to help you get the most out of your product. |
This type of installation works for most users.
|A custom type of installation might be available for your product. This installation allows you to install the minimum software required or the preferred software. Use this type of installation only if you have one of the following reasons: |
The Recommended type of installation allows you to take advantage of all your product features.
Follow these steps to install the software with the product CD.
- Insert the product CD into the CD drive of the computer, and then wait a few seconds for the software installer to open.If the installer does not start automatically, click the Windows icon ( ), click Computer , and then double-click the CD drive.NOTE:If the User Account Control screen opens, click Allow to continue.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.IMPORTANT: The installer might ask if you want to check online for the latest installation updates for your product. For the best installation results, HP recommends that you click “Yes” to let the installer check for updates and download them for you.
Follow these steps to download the full version of the software from the HP Web site, and then install it on your computer.
Step one: Download the software
- Disconnect the USB cable from the product and the computer, if it is not already disconnected.
- Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
- Click the following link to go to the HP software and downloads page: Select Software and Drivers .
- If prompted, type your product number. You might need to click your model in a list of similar products, and then click Software & Driver Downloads .
- Select the Windows 7 operating system from the drop-down list, and then click Next .
- Under Select a download , click the Plus sign ( ) next to Driver , and then click the full feature driver.
- Read through the minimum system requirements and additional instructions. You can also click View directions ( ) for complete download instructions.
- Click Download .
- If the File Download Security Warning window displays, click Save , and then browse to the folder that you want to save the file in.
- Click Save . The software downloads to your computer.NOTE:Make a note of the folder where you saved the file, in case you want to install the software at a later time.
Step two: Install the software
Follow these steps to install the downloaded software.
- When the download is complete and you are ready to install the files, click Open Folder , and then click the downloaded file. The file name ends in .exe .NOTE:If you closed the Download Complete screen, browse to the folder where you saved the .exe file, and then click it.
- You can accept the default place to save the files. Click Next , and then wait while the installer extracts the files to prepare for installation.
- When the Install Wizard starts, follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.NOTE:If you have previously installed the software and are changing the connection type from USB to Ethernet, click Add a device when the Uninstall the software or Add a device window opens.For a Full Feature installation, you choose what type of installation you want. The following information might help you decide which installation type to use.
Typical (Recommended) Minimum For full use of all your product features : HP includes valuable software to help you get the most out of your product.
HP designed this installation type to work for most users.
A custom type of installation might be available for your product. This installation allows you to install the minimum software required or the preferred software. Use this type of installation only if you have one of the following reasons:
The Recommended type of installation allows you to get the most out of your product.
- The computer is low on hard disk space.
- You attempted a recommended type of installation and received errors. (If errors occur during the recommended installation, fix them before trying a custom installation.)