Compaq Presario CQ57-402SE Notebook PC support
Changing Languages (Windows 7)
This document pertains to HP and Compaq computers with Microsoft Windows 7.
The language on an HP computer is part of the product design and, in general, is not easily changed. For best results, use a computer that has been manufactured for the country/region where the native language is used. With certain versions of Windows 7, you may be able to download and install a Language Interface Pack (LIP) or Multilingual User Interface (MUI) Language Pack in a different language.
To download and install an LIP, the computer must have a genuine version of Windows and meet the system requirements posted on the LIP download page from Microsoft. To download and install an MUI, the computer must use Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise. For specific requirements, refer to the information on the LIP or MUI download page.
For the best computing experience, you should purchase an operating system or computer that matches your primary language. If you already have a computer that does not match your primary language and you cannot find or install an LIP or MUI, you can install a new full version of Windows that matches your primary language.
CAUTION: If you change the language and then use HP Customer Care services, HP might not be able to find help due to the added language being different than the language that shipped with the product. The language is part of the product design and HP's support services match the design of the product.
Installing a Multilingual User Interface Pack (Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise only)
Windows 7 Multilingual User Interface Packs provide a translated version of most of the user interface. MUIs require a license to be used and are only available with Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise Editions . If your computer is using one of these editions of Windows 7, you can download and install an MUI by using Windows Update.
Not all languages are available. You may need to periodically check Microsoft's website for new language packs to find out if Microsoft has created an MUI in the language you want.
To install an MUI through Windows Update:
- Windows Update Opens.
- In the left panel, click Check for updates , and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.
- Windows 7 Language Packs are listed as optional updates. Click optional updates are available .
- Under Windows 7 Language Packs, place a check next to the language pack that you want, and click OK .Click Install updates .Windows installs the Language Pack.If your language is not listed, proceed to the Finding and installing a Language Interface Pack (LIP) section below to look for a Language Interface Pack.
What is a Language Interface Pack (LIP)?
A Language Interface Pack is software that can be downloaded from the Microsoft website and installed in Windows. Once installed, translated text replaces many of the text items inside Windows (menu text, program names, icons, and other text). There are several Language Interface Packs available, but each one only provides one language enhancement for one specific language. For example, for Windows 7 English, you can download a Hindi language pack that replaces many of the English words in Windows 7 with Hindi translated words. Language packs do not change text in software that did not originally come as part of Windows 7, such as DVD playing software, disc burning software, and software from HP. A language pack replaces roughly 80 percent of the original text used in Windows.
To learn more, visit Microsoft's Local Language Program website .
Finding and installing a Language Interface Pack (LIP)
Several Language Interface Packs (LIP)s are available on the Windows 7 Language Interface website at the Microsoft download center.
When you install an LIP, only some of the text in Windows 7 displays in the language provided by the LIP.
To install an LIP:
- Log on to the destination computer as an administrator or use an account with administrator privileges.
- Go to Microsoft's Local Language Program website (in English) and click Language Interface Pack downloads for Windows under Resources on the lower right-hand side of the page.
- On the Download languages for Windows screen, look for your language on the list in the Windows 7 column.
- If your language is available from the website, click Download .
- Follow the instructions to download the LIP.
- After the LIP is installed to the computer, you can make it the default language used by Windows 7 by using the Regional and Language Options program in Control Panel. To change the display language used by Windows 7, follow the instructions in the Changing the display language section below.For more information about language packs, visit Microsoft's Local Language Program website (in English).
After you download and install an LIP, some of the text in Windows displays as translated, and some does not.
Changing the display language
After installing an MUI or LIP, use Control Panel to change the language that displays in Windows 7.
- Click Start , and then click Control Panel .
- Under Clock, Language, and Region, click Change display language .
- Choose a language from the Choose a display language drop-down list.
- Click Apply .
- Click Log off now. The next time you log in, the display language is changed.
Changing the input language for keyboards
After you change the language used by Windows, you may also want to change your keyboard to match your language.
- Click Start , and then click Control Panel .
- Under Clock, Language, and Region, click Change keyboards or other input methods .
- Click Change keyboards .
- Select the language from the drop-down list.If the language is not listed, click Add , select the keyboard(s) you want to use, and then click OK .
- Click Apply , and then OK . The new keyboard is added to the list of available keyboards and a keyboard icon appears on the system tray, allowing you to switch between the keyboard that you want to use with the mouse.
- To change your default keyboard, select the language in the Installed services area and then click Move up until it is the first in the list.