Error in Windows 7: No Audio Output Device is installed
This document applies to HP and Compaq desktop computers with Windows 7.
The steps in this document resolve an issue with the following message displaying when you hover the mouse over the Sound icon ( ) in the taskbar:
No Audio Output Device is installed.
Also, the message No audio device is installed displays in the Volume Mixer.
Complete the following steps, in order, until sound is restored.
NOTE: If you upgraded your PC to Windows 7 and your computer uses on-board audio, make sure that on-board audio is set to Enabled in the BIOS.
Step 1: Use the audio troubleshooter
Windows 7 includes an audio troubleshooter that automatically detects issues with audio and sound devices. Follow these steps to use the audio troubleshooter:
- Restart the computer.
- Check the Sound icon in the taskbar.
- Click the Sound icon in the taskbarOrRight-click the icon, and then click Troubleshoot sound problems .
- The audio troubleshooter checks for sound problems. When the troubleshooter finishes, it displays the results.If the computer has sound, the issue is resolved.If the computer still has no sound, click Explore additional options or proceed to the next Step to reinstall the audio driver.
Step 2: Reinstall the audio driver
Follow these steps to use the Hardware Driver Reinstaller to install the original audio driver:
- Click Start , All Programs , Recovery Manager , and then click Recovery Manager again.
- On the Hardware Driver Reinstallation welcome screen, click Next .
- Select the audio driver to reinstall, and then click Next .NOTE: If the audio driver you want to reinstall is not listed, select The driver is not in the list , and then click Next . Helpful information will advise you how to install drivers using Windows Device Manager. Follow the onscreen instructions.
- The Recovery Manager begins reinstalling the driver. After the driver installation is complete, click Finish to restart the computer.
- After the computer restarts, test for sound.If the computer has sound, the issue is resolved.If the computer still has no sound, proceed to the next Step to reinstall the audio driver.
Step 3: Update the audio driver
Follow these steps to update the audio driver:
- Go to the HP Software download page , type the specific model number for your computer, and follow the instructions on the pages to find an audio update for your computer.If an update is available from HP, download and install it. Test for sound after installing the software.If there is not an updated audio driver on the HP Web site, or if the error still displays after downloading and installing an update from HP, try using Device Manager.
- Update the audio driver using Device Manager.
- Double-click Sound, video and game controllers .
- Right-click the name of the audio device listed under Sound, video and game controllers.
- Select Update Driver Software .
- Click Browse my computer for driver software .
- Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer .d
- Make sure the box is checked next to Show compatible hardware .
- Select the audio device from the list, then click Next .The driver is installed
- When the driver update is finished, click Close .
- Click Yes to restart the computer and complete the update.
- If you cannot find an updated driver from HP or through Device Manager, check with the audio technology provider for an updated audio driver package.Your computer probably uses Realtek or Creative Audigy software. If so, you can download and install audio drivers from one of the following sites:
Step 4: Use Microsoft System Restore or HP System Recovery
If the previous steps have not resolved the error, use Microsoft System Restore or HP System Recovery to fix the problem:
- If there is no sound and the error still displays, use Microsoft System Restore to restore the system to a time when it was working.
- If System Restore does not resolve the error, use HP System Recovery to restore the system to its original configuration.
- If the error still displays, service the computer. If your computer has a PCI sound card, the card may need to be removed and reseated, or replaced.