This information pertains to HP notebook PCs with Windows 7.
When creating a new user account or combining two accounts in Windows 7 use the following instructions to copy the old user account settings to the new user account.
NOTE:You must be logged in to an administrator account in Windows to perform the following tasks.
Step 1: Display hidden folders in the Explorer window
To locate the user account directories and files you must configure Windows to display hidden folders.
Step 2: Copy the old files to the new account
By coping the old user account folder and replacing the new user account folder the old files and settings are transferred to the new account.
- In the Computer window navigate to the C:\Users\(old user name) folder.
- Open the C:\Users\(old user name) folder and press the Ctrl-A keys to select all of the files and folders.
- Press the Ctrl-C keys to copy all of the selected files and folders.
- In the Computer window navigate to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder.
- Open the C:\Users\(new user name) folder and press the Ctrl-V keys to paste all of the files and folders.
- When prompted select Yes to copy and replace all files and folders.
- Restart the PC and log on to the new user account.