Compaq Presario CQ5810 Desktop PC support
Using Windows 7 Action Center
This document applies to HP and Compaq computers with Windows 7.
Windows Action Center helps keep your computer secure by checking the status of firewall settings, automatic updates, virus and spyware protection, Internet security settings, and User Account Control settings. Action Center also monitors maintenance tasks, such as file backup and Windows Update, to keep the computer running smoothly.
Opening Windows Security Center in Windows 7
Follow these steps to open Windows Security Center:
Windows 7 Action Center alerts
If Windows 7 detects a problem with a security program (for example, if no firewall is turned on), Windows Security Center displays a notification and places an Action Center alert icon in the taskbar.
To fix the problem automatically:
- Click the notification when it appearsOr
Windows 7 Action Center alert levels
Action Center displays two levels of alerts when a problem is detected:
- Amber - Action Center detects a possible problem. Action Center displays information about the possible problem as well as the recommended fix.
- Red - Action Center detects a serious problem. This problem might affect system security. Action Center displays information about the problem as well as the recommended fix.
Windows 7 Action Center security
Action Center automatically displays any security issues it finds. To view the status of all the security messages, click the arrow next to Security.
Action Center displays the status of all security items and recommends fixes for any detected issues.
Windows 7 Action Center maintenance
Action Center automatically displays any issues with computer maintenance that it finds. To view the status of all the maintenance items, click the arrow next to Maintenance.
Action Center displays the status of all maintenance items and recommends fixes for any detected issues.
Changing settings and viewing messages in Windows 7 Action Center
Manage Action Center settings or view archived messages.
Use the Action Center settings to set the items that Action Center monitors. Follow these steps to change the Action Center settings:
- Click Change Action Center settings on the left side of the Action Center window.
- To turn off messages for an item, remove the check next to that item. Action Center no longer monitors that item.To turn on the messages for an item, place a check next to that item.
- Click OK when done changing settings.