The print job stalls and does not complete when you try to print from Intuit Quicken on a computer running a Windows Vista 64-bit operating system.
Solution: Download the Print Driver Update from the HP Web site
A software update is available for most products. Follow these steps to go to the Software and Drivers page on the HP Web site to check for an update to the HP software to resolve the issue.
- Open a new window to browse to the Select Software and Drivers page:
- Right-click this link, Select Software and Drivers , and then click Open in New Window .
- If prompted, type your product number. You might also need to click it in a list of similar products.
- Click Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit) . The Select Software and Drivers page opens.
- From the Update section, locate the file HP Print Driver Update , and then click the link. The HP Print Driver Update window opens.
NOTE: For up to date information or to discuss this topic, visit the HP Forums (in English).
- If the list of updates includes HP Print Driver Update , continue to the next step in this solution.
- If this update does not display in the list, it is not yet available for your product. Discontinue these steps and continue to Solution two: Print from an alternate print driver.
- Click the File name that ends in '.exe'.
- Click Run . The download and installation begin.
- Once the installation is complete, try to print the original document again.
Workaround: Print from an alternate print driver
The following solution allows you to print from the Quicken program by using a default HP Deskjet 990c series print driver. You do not need to have an HP Deskjet 990c product to use this driver. The driver will work for several products.
Step one: Determine which port the current HP product uses
- From the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ).
- In the Start Search box, type 'control printers ', and then press Enter . The Printers window appears.
- Locate the HP product in the list of printers, right-click the HP product, and then click Properties .
- Click the Ports tab, and then write down the name of the port that has a check mark in the box beside it. This is the port to which the current HP product is printing.
- Click Cancel to close the Properties dialog box.
Step two: Add an HP Deskjet 990c default printer
- In the Printers window, click Add a printer .
- Under Choose a local or network printer , click Add a local printer , and then click Next .
- Click Use an existing port , click the down arrow ( ) to select the port identified in Step one, and then click Next .
- Under Manufacturer , locate and click HP .
- Under Printers , locate and click hp deskjet 990c , and then click Next .
- In the Printer Name box, change the name of the printer by typing 'Quicken - HP Deskjet 990c '.
- If checked, click to remove the check mark from the Set as default printer option, and then click Next .
- If prompted about sharing Quicken - HP Deskjet 990c, make the appropriate selection, and then click Next .
- Skip the test option by not clicking Print a test page? , and then click Finish .
Step three: Set up the Deskjet 990c to print directly
- In the Printers window, right-click Quicken - HP Deskjet 990c , and then click Properties .
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click to select Print directly to the printer , and then click OK .
Step four: Print from the Quicken program
- Start the Quicken program.
- From the File menu, click Printer setup , and then select Quicken - Deskjet 990c .NOTE:Only select this product when printing from Quicken.
- Print a document from Quicken.