This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs with Windows 7.
HP MediaSmart software, installed on many HP notebook PCs shipped with Windows 7, allows you to listen to music, create playlists of songs, and create CDs. You can also discover new music through Pandora® Internet radio, a free radio service integrated into the HP MediaSmart Music application.
Use the HP MediaSmart Music interface to do the following:
- Listen to music - Shuffle, repeat, search, and burn CDs.
- Create playlists - Make playlists quickly. Simply drag and drop your favorite songs or albums to the playlist panel at the right in the HP MediaSmart Music application.
- Organize music - Organize music by Albums, Artists, Genres, and songs. Also, organize music in your Rhapsody or Pandora accounts.
- Get music from alternate sources - Listen to your favorite artists and discover new music with Pandora free Internet Radio. You can also subscribe to Rhapsody Music store to purchase your favorite albums and songs and organize them on HP MediaSmart Music.
Get the latest version of MediaSmart Music/Video/Picture (MVP)
MediaSmart MVP software is pre-installed on some notebook models delivered with Windows 7 and is available for installation on notebooks that were upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 using the HP Windows Update program.
To download the MediaSmart software, go to the Software & Driver downloads web page. Enter the model or product number, and then select the installed operating system.
MediaSmart Music Video Picture (MVP) is part of a suite of MediaSmart programs you may wish to download and install all of the appropriate MediaSmart modules. Alternately, you can download the current MediaSmart MVP module .
Launch MediaSmart Software Music
To open the MediaSmart software music features, double-click the MediaSmart icon on the desktop and then select the music icon from the MediaSmart task bar.
Listen to music
Enjoy your favorite music by using the different ways that are available.
- Shuffle - Switch things up by clicking shuffle to have HP MediaSmart Music randomly mix a playlist of songs.
- Repeat - If you’re really loving your new album and want to listen to it over and over again, or if you’ve created the perfect background music for an event, click repeat .
- Search - Click Search on the bottom left of the HP MediaSmart Music window to quickly search your entire music collection with the application’s built-in search box. Type in an album title, artist, genre or song to find what you’re looking for in seconds in the right pane of the window.
- Rip CDs - To rip an entire album or specific songs from a CD so that it can be saved on your HP MediaSmart Music software, follow these steps.
View your new album on the Albums tab. Click the song you would like to hear and the rest of the songs will play in sequence.
- Click Audio CD in the menu bar and then click Import CD into Music Library on the right side of the window.
- Click the add song icon next to the specific songs you want to add or select Add all Songs to add the whole album to your playlist.
- Click Import , enter Album/Artist Name into the text fields, and then click OK .
- Burn CDs - To burn a CD, click Create CD next to the Search button on the bottom left of the HP MediaSmart Music window to burn your playlists on CD from the HP MediaSmart Music application.
HP MediaSmart Music makes it easy to create quick playlists for parties, workouts or any time you want nonstop music. Simply drag and drop your favorite songs or albums to the playlist panel at the right in the HP MediaSmart Music application.
- On the Songs tab, click your desired song and drag it to your playlist.
- Once you have dragged all the songs you would like on your playlist, click Save Playlist .
- In the playlist name text field, enter the name you would like to give your playlist and then click Save .
View your new playlist on the Playlists tab. Click the song you would like to hear and the rest of the songs will play in sequence. To remove a song from the playlist, click Delete .
Organize music on MediaSmart Music
HP MediaSmart Music makes it easy to view and search your music however you like by clicking a tab at the top of the HP MediaSmart Music window. Search your music using any of the categories listed below.
- Albums - Search your music collection by album artwork to listen to albums in their entirety.
- Artists - Browse music by artists to see the albums and songs you have by each performer.
- Genres - If you feel like listening to jazz, world beat or rock, view the albums and songs you have in each music genre.
- Songs - To listen to a specific song, click the track you would like to hear, and use the shuttle control to pause, fast forward, or rewind.
- USB or other external drive - Listen and browse through to the songs you have saved on your USB or other external drive such as a CD by clicking the drive at the top. The drive will only appear on the menu bar when the USB or other drive is connected.
Get music from alternate sources
HP MediaSmart software lets you explore music from Pandora Internet Radio and Rhapsody Music store. You can use HP MediaSmart Music to create an account with both Pandora and Rhapsody.
- Pandora is free internet radio service that allows you to select a genre or artist and listen to similar songs and artists.
- Rhapsody is a fee-based service that requires a paid subscription to purchase music. HP MediaSmart Music offers a free trial of unlimited use of Rhapsody for 14 days.
Using Pandora Internet Radio
Pandora is a free internet radio service that does not require a paid subscription. If you already have an account with Pandora Internet Radio, you can log in and listen to the stations you have created before and make new radio stations.
There is no change for listening to music on Pandora, however, because you have not purchased the music you cannot create playlists of a specific artist or song and then listen "on demand". You can purchase and play mp3 song when ever you want. Once you have created a Pandora account, you can login and click:
- Thumb up song if you would like to listen to that song later on that station.
- Thumb down song if you do not want to hear that song again on that station and skip past that song.
- QuickMix to mix the stations by genre, all stations, or make a custom quickmix between specific stations.
Create a Pandora Account
To create an account for Pandora Internet Radio using HP MediaSmart Music, click Pandora in the HP MediaSmart Music menu bar, enter your information in the Pandora-Sign Up box on the right side of the Pandora window and then click Next . Your Pandora account window appears.
Set up Pandora Radio Stations
On your Pandora account window, you can create a station based on your favorite music artist or favorite song. To create a station from your Pandora account window, follow these steps.
- Click Create Station .
- Enter the name of the artists or songs you would like play in the text field and click Next .
- Select Artist or Song .
- If prompted, select the song or artist and that type of song or artist will be on your station .
Your new station is created and you can click the name of your station to listen to songs by the artist or similar to songs by the artist.
Using Rhapsody Music Store
Rhapsody is a fee-based service that requires a paid subscription. If you already have an account subscription with Rhapsody Music Store, you can log in and listen to the songs and albums you have purchased.
To open Rhapsody, click the Rhapsody tab on the MediaSmart Music menu bar. As a member, you'll be able to listen to anything in the music catalog. However, in order to transfer mp3 music to a device, such as your computer or an mp3 player, you will need to click Download Rhapsody Software and then select and transfer the music files.
If you would like to try this service, HP MediaSmart Music offers a free limited-time trial of Rhapsody. To open Rhapsody, click the Rhapsody tab on the MediaSmart Music task bar. The Rhapsody window opens.
Create a Rhapsody account
A free, trial account for Rhapsody Music Store requires the use of a credit card. If you decide not continue after the 14 day trial period, you can cancel before you are charged for the songs that you would like to search and purchase. To set up a Rhapsody trial account, follow these steps.
- Click Rhapsody tab and then click the Ready to try Rhapsody? box on the right side of the Rhapsody window
- On the Get Started window, follow the on screen prompts to enter your name, contact, and credit card information in the text fields and then click Start Trial . The Rhapsody window opens on the What's new tab.
Organize music on Rhapsody
Once you have a membership or trial membership, you can use rhapsody by clicking the menu bar items.
- What's new - Discover the latest artists, hit songs, and rhapsody reviews for upcoming movies.
- Genres - Search for songs according to the style of music you would like to listen to.
- Channel Guide - Select a channel you would like to listen to according to the genre of music you like. You will hear the songs that are on rotation like a radio station.
- Playlist Central - Arrange tracks on your playlists you want to play for a party, a jog, or while surfing the web.
- My Rhapsody - Select the playlist you would like to listen to or edit.