HP LaserJet Pro M1217nfw Multifunction Printer support
Copies, Faxes, or Scans Have Vertical Black or White Lines through the Output
White or black lines appear vertically through the image when copying, faxing, or scanning an image.
Try the following solutions in the order presented to resolve the issue. When one of the solutions resolves the issue, there is no need to continue troubleshooting.
NOTE:Some of the following solutions require you to restart the computer. Consider bookmarking this page on your Web browser, so that you can reference it after restarting the computer.
Solution one: Test and clean the product, and restart the product and the computer
Follow these steps to test and clean the product, and to and restart the product and the computer.
Step one: Print a Demo Page
To help diagnose the issue, first print a Demo Page.
- Open the Printers folder.
- Windows XP: Click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes.
- Windows Vista: Click the Windows icon (), click Control Panel, and then double-click Printers.
- Windows 7: Click the Windows icon (), click Control Panel, and then double-click Printers and Devices.
- Right-click the icon for your product, click Printing Preferences, and then click the Services tab.
- From the Print Information Pages drop-down list, click Demo Page, and then click Print.
- If the Demo Page prints normally, continue the next step.
- If the Demo Page prints with black or white vertical lines, the print cartridge is almost empty, or it might be damaged. Skip to Solution two: Replace the print cartridge.
Step two: Copy the Demo Page
If the Demo Page prints normally, the scanner glass might be dirty or scratched. To help diagnose this issue, copy the Demo Page from Step one.
- Load the document onto the top left corner of the scanner glass, or into the document feeder (M1210 Series).
- Press the Start Copy () button to start copying.
- If the copy is normal, skip to Step four: Restart the product .
- If the copy has vertical lines, the scanner glass might be dirty or scratched, or the print cartridge might be damaged. Continue to the next step.
Step three: Clean the scanning glass and platen
- Press the Power button () to turn off the product.
- Disconnect the power cord from the product and the wall outlet, and then wait for the product to cool.
- Open the scanner lid.
- Clean the following scanner areas with a soft cloth or sponge that has been moistened with nonabrasive glass cleaner.CAUTION:Do not use abrasives, acetone, benzene, ammonia, ethyl alcohol, or carbon tetrachloride on any part of the product; these can damage the product. Do not place liquids directly on the glass or platen. They might seep and damage the product.
- Main scanner glass
- Small scanner glass to the left of the main scanner glass
- White plastic backing
- Dry the glass and white plastic backing with a chamois or a cellulose sponge to prevent spotting.
- Plug the power cord into the product and the wall outlet.
- Press the Power button () to turn on the product.
- Try again to copy the Demo Page.
- If the copy is normal, continue to the next step.
- If the copy has vertical lines, the scanner glass might be scratched, or the print cartridge might be damaged. Skip to Solution two: Replace the print cartridge .
Step four: Restart the product
- Press the Power button () to turn off the product.NOTE:The product might not turn off after you press the Power button. Continue to the next step anyway.
- Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product.
- Disconnect the USB cable () from the back of the product.
- Wait about 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the USB cable to the back of the product.
- Reconnect the power cord to the back of the product.
- Press the Power button () to turn on the product, and then continue to the next step.
Step five: Restart the computer
- Close all open programs. Be sure to save the latest changes to your files.
- Restart the computer.Windows XPClick Start, and then click Shut Down. A dialog box opens.Select Restart.Windows Vista and Windows 7Click the Windows icon ().In the bottom of the window that opens, click the Arrow (), and then click Restart.
- Most computers shut down, turn off, turn on, and then restart. If a dialog box opens with a message that it is now OK to turn off the computer, press the Power button on the computer to turn it off. Then press the Power button again to turn it on.
- Try again to copy the Demo Page.
- If the copy is normal, continue to the next step, you can stop troubleshooting.
- If the issue persists after you complete these steps, skip to Solution three: Service the product .
Solution two: Replace the print cartridge
If after you have completed the above solutions you are still experiencing print quality issues, you might have a damaged, empty or incompatible print cartridge.
NOTE:HP recommends that you use genuine HP cartridges. Genuine HP cartridges are designed and tested with HP printers to help you easily produce great results, time after time. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP supplies. Warranty does not cover product service or repairs required from the use of a non-HP ink or toner supply. HP recommends that you make sure that you are using genuine HP cartridges before you continue.
To check the cartridge compatibility for your product, go to HP SureSupply . To identify your cartridge type in a language other than English, click the language link that appears near the globe icon in the top right corner of your browser.
Video of replacing the print cartridge
The following video demonstrates how to replace a print cartridge.
NOTE:This video shows an HP LaserJet M1212 Multifunction printer, but the steps are the same for your printer.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
- Open the scanner lid, and then open the print cartridge door.
- Remove the print cartridge.
- Remove the new print cartridge from the packaging. Place the used print cartridge in the bag and box for recycling.
- Gently rock the new print cartridge back and forth five times.CAUTION:To prevent damage to the print cartridge, hold the print cartridge at each end. Do not touch the cartridge shutter or the roller surface.
- Bend the tab on the left side of the print cartridge until the tab breaks loose, and then pull the tab to remove all the sealing tape. Place the tab and tape in the box for recycling.CAUTION:If toner gets on your clothing, wipe it off with a dry cloth and wash the clothing in cold water. Hot water sets toner into the fabric.
- Install the print cartridge.
- Close the print cartridge door and the scanner lid.
- Try again to copy the Demo Page.
- If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
- If the issue persists, see the next solution.
Solution three: Service the product
If the issue persists after you complete these steps, the scanner glass might be scratched, or the product might be damaged.
These steps apply to all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
If you have completed all the preceding steps and are still experiencing a problem, service the product.
Determine if your product is in warranty or out of warranty. If you need help determining your product’s warranty status, go to HP’s Warranty Check Tool .
- If your product is in warranty, contact HP.
- If your product is out of warranty, fees might apply for contacting HP.