This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs with Windows 7.
An HP USB Hybrid ATSC NTSC QAM FM TV Tuner allows you to watch and pause live TV on your computer. You can also use it to record your favorite TV shows on your computer and watch them at a later time. To use the HP USB TV Tuner, you should have the following:
- Internet access
- A program that lets you watch TV on your computer such as MediaSmart, QuickPlay, DVD Play, or Windows Media Center
- A working TV signal source (satellite, cable, or digitally broadcasted ATSC signal)
To set up a HP USB TV Tuner in Windows 7, you will need to:
Download and install the HP USB TV Tuner driver
To install the HP USB TV Tuner driver from the Installation disc, follow the steps below.
- Insert the Installation disc into the optical drive on the computer. The installation program should automatically start after the optical disk door is closed.
- When prompted, click HP TV Tuner Driver to continue the installation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Or, download the latest USB Tuner driver from the HP web site.
Download and install the latest version of TV viewing software
HP provides different software for viewing TV for different models. HP MediaSmart software comes with most Windows 7 and Vista models. For the latest version of HP MediaSmart software, follow the steps below.
- Go to the HP Drivers and Downloads web page.
- Enter your model notebook in the search field and select it from the list.
- Click Software & Driver Downloads .
- Choose your operating system.
- Download and install the HP MediaSmart Live TV Software
For the latest version of other software such as QuickPlay, DVD Play, and Windows Media Center, visit the software manufacturer's web site.
Configure your TV software
After installing the TV Tuner driver and current version of TV viewing software, you should configure your TV viewing software.
To set up MediaSmart, follow the steps below.
- Click Start , enter HP MediaSmart in the search field, and select HP MediaSmart when it becomes available in the search list.
- Click the TV icon on the SmartMenu.
- Click the Settings icon, and then select the setup program.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
To set up Quickplay, follow the steps below.
- Click Start , enter QuickPlay in the search field, and select QuickPlay when it becomes available in the search list.
- Click the TV icon on the menu bar.
- Click the I icon on the menu bar at the left of the screen.
- On the menu, select the setup program.
Using Windows Media Center
To set up Windows Media Center, follow the steps below.
- Click Start , enter Windows Media in the search field, and select Windows Media Center when it becomes available in the search list.
- Select Tasks , Settings , General , and then run the setup program.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Set up your computer to a video source
There are three different ways that you can connect your computer to a video source:
Option A: Connect with an antenna
Option B: Connect with regular TV or cable TV without a receiver
Option C: Connect with satellite TV or cable TV with a receiver
- Connect an RF coaxial cable (purchased separately) from your cable or satellite TV wall jack to the TV-In jack on your cable or satellite receiver.
- Connect an RF coaxial cable (purchased separately) from the TV-Out jack on your cable or satellite receiver to the TV tuner.
- Insert the TV tuner into a USB port on the computer.
- Connect the remote sensor to a USB port on the computer.
- Connect the IR emitter cable to the remote sensor.Be sure that you connect the IR emitter cable to the connector marked with a "1" on the remote sensor.
- Remove the backing paper from the IR emitter to expose the adhesive tape.
- Press the adhesive side of the IR emitter onto the infrared (IR) lens on the front of the receiver.NOTE:To help locate the IR lens, shine a flashlight on the front of the receiver. The IR lens is usually a small, dark-red window.NOTE:If you cannot place the emitter directly over the IR lens, place it as close to the IR lens as possible.
You should now be able to watch TV on your computer with the HP USB Hybrid ATSC NTSC QAM FM TV Tuner.