This document contains steps for replacing the cartridges.
Click this link, HP Home & Home Office Store (US only), and then click Ink Toner & Paper to purchase cartridges or check cartridge compatibility for your printer.
If you are located outside of the US, follow these steps to purchase cartridges using HP SureSupply.
- Click this link, HP SureSupply .
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure that the country or region location is correct.
Follow these steps to replace and align the cartridges.
CAUTION: Do not leave cartridges outside the product for an extended period. This can result in damage to the product and the cartridges. Have a new cartridge available before removing an old cartridge.
Step one: Replace the cartridge
The following video demonstrates the steps for replacing a cartridge in the product.
NOTE:After you replace any cartridges, you must align the cartridges, as described in Step two of this document.
- Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
- Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the center of the product. Wait until the carriage becomes idle and silent before continuing.
- Press the tab on the front of the old cartridge to release it, and then remove the cartridge from the slot.
- Twist the orange cap counterclockwise to snap it off.
- With the cartridge contacts facing the printhead, slide the cartridge into the empty slot. Press down on the cartridge until it clicks firmly into place.CAUTION:Do not lift the latch next to the carriage to install the cartridges. Doing so can result in incorrectly seated cartridges and printing issues. The latch must remain down to install the cartridges correctly.
- Repeat these steps for each cartridge you replace.
- Close the cartridge door. The carriage moves back to the side of the product.
Step two: Align the cartridges
Follow these steps to load plain paper and to align the cartridges.
- Lower the paper tray.
- Pull out the tray extension, and then lift up the paper catch.
- Slide the paper width guide to its outermost position.
- Load a stack of plain white paper into the paper tray. Slide the stack of paper forward until it stops.
- Slide the paper width guide inward until it stops at the edge of the paper.
- When prompted after loading the paper, touch OK on the control panel to print an alignment page. The product prints an alignment page.
- Lift the product lid.
- Place the alignment page at the right front corner of the scanner glass with the print side down. See the engraved guide next to the scanner glass for help loading the alignment page.
- Lower the lid.
- Touch OK . The product scans the alignment page, completing the alignment.