HP Deskjet 1050 All-in-One Printer - J410a support
Setting up the All-in-One (Hardware)
This document explains how to set up the physical parts of the product. Complete these steps before you install the product software on your computer. If you already set up the product hardware, and need software installation help, see Links to Software Installation Instructions at the end of this document.
This document includes the following steps to set up the product:
- Unpack the All-in-One
- Check the contents of the box
- Connect the power cord and adapter
- Turn on power
- Load plain paper
- Install the cartridges
- Align the cartridges
Setting up the All-in-One
Follow these steps in order. When you are finished, you can click the appropriate link at the end of this document if you need instructions to install the product software.
CAUTION:Do NOT connect the USB cable now. If you need a USB cable to connect the product to the computer, you will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during software installation.
Step one: Unpack the All-in-One
- Remove the tape and cardboard from the outside the product, and then open it.
- Open the front access door, open the cartridge access door, and then remove the tape and cardboard from the inside the product.
- Close the cartridge access door.
- Raise the input tray.
- Pull out the tray extender.
Step two: Check the contents of the box
The contents might vary by country/region. See the packaging for a list of items shipped in the box.
Step three: Connect the power cord and adapter
Step four: Turn on power
Press the Power button ( ) to turn the product on.
Step five: Load plain paper
- Slide the paper width guide to its outermost position.
- Load a stack of 216 x 279 mm (8.5 x 11 in) plain paper into the paper tray, print-side down. Slide the stack of paper in until it stops.
- Slide the paper width guide snugly against the paper.
Step six: Install the cartridges
- Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product, if it is not already turned on. Wait until the product is idle and silent before continuing.
- Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the center of the product. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before continuing.
- Remove the new cartridge from its packaging, and then carefully pull the pink pull tab to remove the plastic tape.CAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or ink nozzles. Also, do not re-tape the cartridges. Doing so can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.
- Hold the cartridge by its sides with the nozzles toward the product, and then insert the cartridge into its slot. Make sure that the icon on the cartridge matches the icon on the slot.
- The tri-color cartridge ( ) goes in the slot on the left
- The black cartridge ( ) goes in the slot on the right
- Push the cartridge forward into its slot until it snaps into place.
- Repeat these steps to insert the other cartridge.
- Close the cartridge access door.
- Wait about 30 seconds for the alignment page to automatically print.
Step seven: Align the cartridges
- Lift the scanner lid.
- Place the alignment page with the printed-side down on the right-front corner of the scanner glass. See the engraved guide next to the scanner glass for help loading the alignment page.
- Close the scanner lid.
- Press the Start Copy Black button ( ) to begin the scan. The product automatically aligns the cartridges.
- Wait until the Power light ( ) stops blinking, which indicates that the cartridge alignment is complete.
Links to software installation instructions
After you complete the previous setup steps, you can install the product software with the product CD or by downloading the software from the HP website. For instructions, click the link for your computer operating system and type of connection.
CAUTION:Do NOT connect a USB cable now. You will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during software installation.