HP Deskjet 1050 All-in-One Printer - J410a support
Replacing the Cartridges
This document contains steps for replacing the cartridges.
Which cartridges you use depends on your country or region. Follow these steps to purchase cartridges or check cartridge compatibility for your printer using HP SureSupply.
NOTE:For the United States only, go to the HP Home & Home Office Store .
- Go to HP SureSupply .
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure that the country or region location is correct.
Replacing the cartridges
The following video demonstrates how to replace a cartridge.
NOTE:The video shows the HP Deskjet 2050. The outside of the product might not look the same as your product, but the steps are the same.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
Follow these steps to replace and align the cartridges.
Step one: Replace the cartridge
- Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product, if it is not already turned on. Wait until the product is idle and silent before continuing.
- Load plain white paper, if you have not already done so.
- Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the center of the product. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before continuing.
- Lightly press down on the cartridge to release it, and then pull the cartridge out to remove it from its slot.CAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.
- Remove the new cartridge from its packaging, and then pull the pink pull tab to remove the plastic tape.CAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or ink nozzles. Also, do not re-tape the cartridges. Doing so can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.
- Hold the cartridge by its sides with the nozzles toward the product, and then insert the cartridge into its slot. Make sure that the icon on the cartridge matches the icon on the slot.
- The tri-color cartridge ( ) goes in the slot on the left
- The black cartridge ( ) goes in the slot on the right
- Push the cartridge forward into its slot until it snaps into place.
- Repeat these steps to replace the other cartridge, if necessary.
- Close the cartridge access door.
- Wait about 30 seconds for the alignment page to automatically print.
Step two: Align the cartridges
- Lift the scanner lid.
- Place the alignment page with the printed-side down on the right-front corner of the scanner glass. See the engraved guide next to the scanner glass for help loading the alignment page.
- Close the scanner lid.
- Press the Start Copy Black button ( ) to begin the scan. The product automatically aligns the cartridges.
- Wait until the Power light ( ) stops blinking, which indicates that the cartridge alignment is complete.