HP Pavilion dv6000z CTO Notebook PC support
Using HP QuickSync Software
This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs with Windows 7, Vista, and XP.
You can use HP QuickSync on one computer to synchronize your personal files such as music, pictures, and documents with files on another computer, or syncable device, through a network connection. Syncable devices include phones, MP3 players, flashdrives, and external hard drives.
What you can do with HP QuickSync:
- Create a new photo album on your home desktop computer and copy it to your HP Mini.
- Take music that is on your computer and synchronize it with your MP3 player.
- When you work on a document on both your desktop and your notebook computers, HP QuickSync keeps track of the latest version for you.
When synchronizing two computers, whichever computer has the original files is considered your master computer. The master computer can have either Windows 7 or Vista. The computer you wish to synchronize with is considered your companion computer. The companion computer can have either Windows 7, Vista, or XP.
To use HP QuickSync, you will do the following tasks:
Get on the same network
To use HP QuickSync, your computers must be on the same network. This network must be a home workgroup and cannot be a domain. To get on the same workgroup on a home network, follow the steps below for each computer.
In Vista and Windows 7,
- Click Start , enter System , and then select System under the Control Panel category when it becomes available in the search list.
- Scroll down and locate the Workgroup category.
- If the Workgroup is the same on both computers, they are on the same network and can transfer files. Proceed to Install HP QuickSync software .
- If the Workgroup is different, proceed with Step 3 to change the name of the Workgroup.
- Click Change Settings .
- On the System Properties window, click Change .
- On the Computer Name/Domain Changes window, enter the name of the desired workgroup.NOTE:You may be prompted to enter a security key or password to join a network.
- Restart the computer, click Start , Computer , and look on the left column under the Network category to see if your computer name is listed.The other computers on the home network workgroup are also displayed. Both the master and companion computers need to be listed in order for HP QuickSync to work.
Install HP QuickSync software
After connecting your computers on the home network, make sure that you have the latest version of HP QuickSync on the master computer. During the installation process, you will create a companion copy of the software and install it on one other computer. To obtain the latest version of software, follow the steps below.
- Go to the HP Drivers and Downloads page.
- Search for your model notebook, and then select your operating system.
- Look for HP QuickSync in the Software - Solutions category, and then click the link to download the software.
Set up HP QuickSync on your master PC
To set up your master computer with HP QuickSync, follow the steps below.
- Click Start , enter HP QuickSync in the search field, and then click HP QuickSync when it becomes available in the search list.
- On the End User License Agreement, click Accept .
- On the Welcome to HP QuickSync window, select No: Create a free Master Account and activate my software , and then click Next to begin creating a Master Account.
- On the Create Account window, enter your email , user name , and password in the text fields, and then click Create to create a Master Account.You will use this email address and password for future logins into HP QuickSync.
- Upon receiving the Account Created window, log into your email account, open the HP QuickSync activation email, and follow the instructions to activate the HP QuickSync account.NOTE:If the activation email does not appear in your Inbox, look in your Junk mail folder. Or, click the link on the Account Created window to have the activation email resent to your email address.
- Close the Internet browser and return to HP QuickSync, and then click Activate to complete the activation process.If your account is not activated, an error window will display if you try to continue. Verify that you followed all the steps in the activation email before returning to HP QuickSync.NOTE:You must receive the activation email and follow the steps to activate your account on your master computer.
- On the Account Activated window, click Next to continue.
If you wish to sync to another computer, the next step in the setup process is to obtain a companion license. If you have another computer:
Set up HP QuickSync on your companion PC
Your master computer has all the original files that you want to sync onto your companion computer. Use HP QuickSync on the master computer to create a copy of the software for the companion computer. Downloading HP QuickSync onto your companion computer via the HP Drivers and Downloads page will not work. To set up HP QuickSync on your companion computer, follow the steps below.
- On your master computer, open HP QuickSync, and then click Download for Windows under the Quick Links category in the right column.
- Connect a USB flashdrive or removable storage device into the master computer, select your device, and then click Copy files to obtain a copy of the software for your companion computer.NOTE:You may only install a companion copy onto one other computer.
- Upon receiving the Success window, safely remove your USB flashdrive or removable storage device from your master computer, insert it into the companion computer.
- Click Start , Computer , locate your USB flashdrive or removable storage device, double-click HPQuickSyncUpdater , and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the companion copy of HP QuickSync on your companion computer.
- Once the installation is complete, launch HP QuickSync on your companion computer.
- On the Welcome to HP QuickSync window, select Yes: Sign in and activate my software using an existing account , and then click Next .
- Enter the email address that you used to create your master account in the text field, and then click Activate .
- On the Account Activated window, click Next to continue.
Now that your companion computer is set up and activated with HP QuickSync, you may now choose to Set up password access to your Sync library on your companion computer.
Set up password access to your Sync library
To set up password access to protect your files in your Sync library on either your master and/or companion computer, follow the steps below.
- On the Setup Options window, select Use Express Setup , and then click Next to continue.
- To create a password to access your sync library in the future, enter a password in the text field, and then click Next . If you do not wish to set a password, select Skip. I do not need password protection for my sync library , and then click Next .
- On the Setup Complete window, click Finish to open HP QuickSync on your master computer.
Sync your files
Now that you have HP QuickSync installed and activated on your master and companion computers, you can now transfer files between them. To sync your files, follow the steps below.
- On the HP QuickSync InfoCenter window, select your companion computer from the left column under Shared Computers.
- Click through each tab in the left column, Pictures, Music, Videos, and Documents to see which files exist on your computer.Some tabs may require password access if you previously chose to set up password access to your Sync library.
- Under HP Quick Sync in the right column, select the companion computer from the Choose computer... drop-down menu or select your device from the Choose device... drop-down menu, and then click Sync now . Wait for HP QuickSync to finish synchronizing before continuing.
- When the syncing process finishes, a report of synced files displays. Click Close to return to the InfoCenter screen.
- Use the tabs in the left-column to view your Sync library. The files are categorized by file type.
You can synchronize your files between your master and companion computers or with your syncable devices at any time when you are not using your computer. Remember to sync whenever you add new files that you also want on another computer or device.