Compaq Presario CQ5810 Desktop PC support
Sending a Fax From Your PC(Windows 7 or Windows Vista)
This document pertains to HP and Compaq Desktop Computer with Windows 7 or Windows Vista.
If your computer has a fax modem, you can use it to send faxes. You can also send faxes using a fax server on a network. To send a fax using a fax server, skip to Step 2: Set up your computer to send faxes .
To send a fax using the modem, complete the following sections in order.
Step 1: Check the system for a fax modem
To send a fax, you need either a fax modem on your system or access to a fax server on a network. If you want to send faxes using a fax server, skip to Step 2: Set up your computer to send faxes .
Follow these steps to check if your computer has a fax modem:
- Double-click Modems and check for a fax modem.If a fax modem is listed, you can send a fax using the modem.If Modems is missing or if no fax modem is listed, purchase and install a fax modem.
Step 2: Set up your computer to send faxes
Before you can send a fax, you must connect a telephone cord to the modem and set up Windows Fax and Scan.
- Connect a telephone cord to the RJ11 port of the modem (not the RJ45 port of the network card) and to an analog telephone line (an RJ11 wall or floor outlet).
- Click Start , All Programs , and then click Windows Fax and Scan .
- Click Fax , then click New Fax .
- On the Fax Setup page, click Connect to a fax modem .To send a fax using a fax server on a network, click Connect to a fax server on my network and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Type a name for the modem, then click Next .
- Choose the method for receiving faxes or select I'll choose later; I want to create a fax now .If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- If a Windows Security Alert displays, place a check next to Private networks , and then click Allow access .If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Step 3: Send a fax
- In the New Fax window, enter the recipient's fax number, or click Contacts to add a contact.To fax to more than one recipient, separate the fax numbers or contact names by semicolons.
- Create the fax using the tools on the New Fax window:
- When ready to send the fax, click Send .If prompted, enter the area code for your telephone.The fax status window displays.
- If the fax does not send successfully, click View details . Fix any issues and try again.When the fax sends successfully, a message displays in the Notification Area.