QuickWeb and Windows do not use the same hardware and software driver configuration settings. You must configure some common applications in both environments. For instance, after you configure the Network, Browser, and Email settings in Windows, you must configure the same settings for the QuickWeb Splashtop Web Browser, Pidgen E-mail, Web Calendar, Photo Manager, Music Manager, Chat instant messenger, and Skype phone applications. Similarly, the computer's clock date and time settings must be configured so that both operating environments use the same Time Zone and Daylight Savings Time settings.
Before you can configure either the Instant On Software (IOS) or the HP QuickWeb web applications, you must start the computer in Windows 7 and enable the IOS or HP QuickWeb environment.
NOTE:On systems with QuickWeb Version 220.127.116.1120 or greater, you will not be able to enable and disable the QuickWeb in the BIOS or in the Windows Environment. The only way to access QuickWeb is by pressing f5 (QuickWeb key) when the computer is off or in Hibernation.
There are two ways to enable the IOS:
- HP QuickWeb Configuration
To enable the IOS through the QuickWeb Configuration Tool, do the following actions:
- Click Start, All Programs, HP QuickWeb , and click HP QuickWeb Configuration Tool .Alternately, click Start, All Programs , and then click the IOS Configuration Tool .
- Select the Enable HP QuickWeb (or Enable IOS ) option, and click OK . Restart the computer.
The HP IOS program is now enable through HP QuickWeb.
To enable IOS in the BIOS, do the following actions:
- Power on the notebook and repeatedly press the F10 to enter the BIOS setup utility.
- Use the right and left arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration menu .
- Use the up and down arrow keys to navigate to Boot Options , and then press the enter key.
- Navigate to Instant-On and select Enabled .If desired, update the value for Delay to Boot Windows .
The HP IOS program is now enabled within the notebook BIOS utility.
Set up the network connection
Setting up the network connection in the IOS environment is similar to setting up a wireless connection in Windows. You should set up the wireless network connection in Windows before setting up the IOS connection. This allows you to verify that the wireless device is turned on and enabled, and that the computer can connect to the network. See HP Notebook PCs - Installing and Using HP Wireless Assistant in Windows 7 to Enable the wireless device and leave it enabled. If the wireless device is disabled in Windows, it cannot be re-enabled in the IOS.
You should also set up the Windows web browser, your e-mail service and any Instant Messaging applications so that you have the required URL and IP addresses, security settings and passwords.
To set up the network connection, start the computer in IOS or HP QuickWeb and do the following steps.
- Click one of the application icons to display the task bar icons in the lower right-hand corner. Notice that the wireless device is not active because there is no connection to a wireless network.
- If needed, press the wireless device button on the keyboard to turn the wireless device on.On most notebooks, a glowing orange wireless device LED means the device is turned off. The LED glows a light blue color when the wireless device is turned on.
- On the task bar, click the Setup icon to open the Configuration Panel window.
- Click the Network icon to open the Network Configuration window.If no wireless networks are displayed, either there is no wireless network in the area, or the wireless device is turned off, or it was not enabled in Windows using the HP Wireless Assistant.
- Select the desired wireless (WIFI) network to open the Connect to Network window.
- Verify the correct Network Name is selected, and enter the required network Password .
- Under Advanced Settings heading, do the following:
- Select Security Type used on the network
- If WEP , select WEP Key Index .
- If None , continue to next step.
- If WAPA or WAPA2 continue to next step. This type of security may be found in a corporate network environment, contact the corporate Network Administrator for instructions on setting the Subnet Mask, Alternate DNS Server , and Default Gateway values.
- Under the IP/DNS Settings heading, verify Automatic IP and Automatic DNS are selected. Contact your Internet Service Providers (INS) if they assign static IP addresses and DNS Servers.
- Select Connect to complete the connection, and then select Close to accept the network connection values and close the Connect to Network window.
When the wireless connection is complete, the wireless device icon changes to indicate a proper connection . Now that you have a network connection, you can continue to configure the Web Browser, E-mail, Web Calendar, Chat instant messenger, and Skype phone application.
The following sections show how to configure many common applications on your computer using the Instant On Software (IOS) and HP QuickWeb web applications.
To configure the web browser the first time you use it, do the following steps.
- Click the web browser icon .
- To connect to a web site, enter the desired web site in the URL field , and press the Enter key.
- To configure the starting web page, click Bookmark , and select Make this page the default home page .
- To configure the Proxy server, if desired, select Tools , select Connection Settings . The default setting is the Auto-detect proxy settings for this network option
- Click OK to apply the proxy values, and close the Connection Settings window.
- Click the Setup icon to open the Configuration Panel window, and click the Applications icon to open the Applications selection window.
- Select Email , and click Edit to open the Email Application Settings window.
- Select the Email service you want to use (Gmail or Yahoo Mail). You must already have an account on the selected service.
- To logon automatically, enter the complete Email Address (MyName@someservice.com ) and the Password you use for that service.
- If you have an Email service with a different service, select the Other option and enter the URL you normally use to access that service on the web. The Email Address and Password fields are not active when using Other .
- Click Finish to accept the Email connection values and close the Application Settings window.
When you select the Email application icon on the main IOS window, the application will connect to the service. If necessary, it will prompt you for user information and a password.
- Click the Setup icon to open the Configuration Panel window, and click Applications to open the Applications selection window.
- Select Calendar , and click Edit to open the Calendar Application Settings window.
- Select the calendar service you want to use. (Google or Windows Live calendar) You must already have an account on the selected service.
- To logon automatically, enter the complete Email Address (MyName@someservice.com ) and the Password you use for that service.
- If you have a calendar service with a different service, select Other and enter the URL you normally use to access that service on the web. The Email Address and Password fields are not active when using the Other option.
- Click Finish to accept the calendar connection values and close the Application Settings window.
When you select the Calendar application on the main IOS window, the application will connect to the service. If necessary, it will prompt you for user information and a password.
To configure the instant messenger the first time you use Chat, do the following steps.
- Click the Chat icon on the main window.
- Select the instant messenger service you want to use. (AIM, Gadu-Gadu, Google Talk, ICQ, MSN, QQ, Yahoo) You must already have an account on the selected service.If one or more accounts are setup, in the Chat window, select the desired Account from the Account list.If no account is setup, in the Accounts window, select Add to set up an account.
- On the Add Account window, do the following:
- Select the desired type of protocol (IM service).
- Enter User name , Password , and your Local alias (User Name)
- Select Remember password .
- Click Save to accept the Chat connection values and close the Add Account window.
- In the Chat window, select Buddies functions to: Add Buddy , Join a Chat , or write a New Instant Message , plus other actions.
- In the Chat window, select Accounts and then select the desired account.
- If the account is active, you may enter the address of a Buddy to contact.
- If the account is not active, you can Edit Account, or Disable account.
- If the computer is not connected to the account, you must re-connect before continuing.
In the Chat window, select the Tools function to: set up Preferences , Transfer Files , plus other actions.
To configure the phone application the first time you use Skype, do the following steps.
- Click the Skype icon to open the Skype window.
- When prompted, accept the End User License Agreement.
- You must already have an account on the selected Skype service.On the Skype Login window, enter your Skype Name , enter your Password , and then click Sign in .
NOTE:If you do not already have an account, to enroll in a Skype service, click Don’t have a Skype Name yet? and follow the on-screen instructions.
The operation of the Music Player is similar to the operation of the Windows Media player.
Click the Music icon to open the Music Player application.
The Music Player allows you to create Playlists of music already stored on the hard drive or on a USB device.
To added additional music, you should boot into Windows and use the default Windows Media Player or Windows Explorer to copy the files onto the hard drive. The default directory is the C:\Users\Public\Music folder.
For additional information, click the Help icon in the Music Player.
The operation of the Manager is similar to the operation of the Windows Live Photo Gallery.
Click the Photo icon to open the Photo Manager application.
The Photo Viewer allows you to create Albums of pictures already stored on the hard drive or on a USB device.
To added additional pictures, you should boot into Windows and use the Windows Explorer to copy the files onto the hard drive. The default directory is the C:\Users\Public\Pictures folder.
For additional information, click the Help icon in the Photo Manager.
Access web features from the main IOS window
On initial startup, the Main ISO window has a simple black background. After the web applications are configured, the image on the Main window changes and provides direct access to web applications.
To access or modify a feature, do the following:
- 1. Mail – Click the Mail icon to launch the Email application.
- 2. Search – Enter a URL and press the Enter key to access a web site.
- 3. Bookmarks – Select any web site which has previously been book marked in the web browser.
- 4. Favorites – Click the thumbnail image of any web site previously marked as a Favorite in the web browser.To change any thumbnail image, right-click the image and select Change favorite website . You can enter a new URL, or select a URL from the list, and then press the Enter key to accept the selection. Alternately, to remove the link, select Remove favorite website .
- 5. Music – Click the thumbnail image of any album to play the music.To change any thumbnail image and select a different album, right-click the image and select Change favorite album . You can select any playlist or album on the list.Alternately, to remove the link to the album, select Remove .Alternately, to play any album in the library, or create a new playlist, click Music .
- 6. Photos – Click the thumbnail image of any album to view the images.To change any thumbnail image and select a different album, right-click the image and select Change favorite album . You can album or photo on the computer.Alternately, to remove the link to the album, select Remove .Alternately, to view any album or photo, or create a new album, click the Photo icon .
Configure PC features using IOS
The Setup menu allows you to configure additional applications and operating conditions.
Click the Setup icon to open the Configuration Panel window, and click the desired configuration option.
The features of IOS are individually configurable on the Configuration Panel.
- Date and Time - Specify the time (in 24 hour format) and time zone. Use the same Time Zone and Daylight Savings Time settings as configured in Windows.
- Language and Keyboard - Set up the Language used by the operating system and the type of keyboard used.
- Environment Settings (4 tabs) - Changing the computer to personalize the power consumption, help manage printers, and check on the latest updates to software and drivers.
- Help Improve Software - Allow HP DeviceVM service to collect anonymous usage statistics to help improve HP's support services.
- Power Management - Select a power profile either Performance or Energy Saving, or setup your own Custom Power options. That means you specify when to Put display to sleep and when to Shutdown computer .
- Printer - Select a default printer.
- General - Allow the computer to check for updated drivers and software once a month, restore the computer's system to factory setting, and specify a time delay for when the computer should start into the Windows OS if the IOS is inactive for some period of time.
Click the Help icon to view Help files on the computer.
HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Instant On Software Environment - c01995690