This document contains steps to make sure that the new print cartridge is compatible with your HP product, and to replace an old print cartridge with the new one.
Replacing print cartridges
Follow these steps to replace a print cartridge.
Step one: Check print cartridge compatibility
Before unpacking a new print cartridge, make sure that it is compatible with your HP product.
Click this link, HP Home & Home Office Store (US only), and then click Ink Toner & Paper to purchase cartridges or check cartridge compatibility for your printer.
If you are located outside of the US, follow these steps to purchase cartridges using HP SureSupply.
- Click this link, HP SureSupply .
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure that the country or region location is correct.
Step two: Replace the print cartridge
Follow these steps to replace the print cartridge.
Follow these steps to replace the print cartridges.
CAUTION:If toner gets on any clothing, wipe it off with a dry cloth and wash the clothing in cold water. Hot water sets toner into the fabric.
- Open the front door on the product.
- Pull out the print cartridge drawer.
- Grasp the handle on the old print cartridge, and then pull the cartridge straight up to remove it.
- To open the box that contains the new print cartridge, pull down on the red tab on the side of the box.
- Remove the package from the box, and then remove the new print cartridge from the package.
- Gently rock the print cartridge from front to back to distribute the toner evenly inside the cartridge.Figure 5: Gently rock the print cartridge
- Remove the orange, plastic shield from the bottom of the new print cartridge. Do not remove the protective tape from the print cartridge.CAUTION:Do not touch the green roller (imaging drum) on the bottom of the print cartridge. Fingerprints on the imaging drum can cause print quality problems.
- Hold the print cartridge so that the green drum faces the bottom of the print cartridge drawer, and then insert the print cartridge into the correct slot.
Tip: Look for color-coded icons on the print cartridge slots to insert the print cartridge in the correct slot.
- Pull the tab on the left side of the print cartridge straight up to completely remove the sealing tape. Discard the sealing tape.Figure 9: Pull the tab on the print cartridge
- Repeat these steps for each print cartridge that you need to replace. Make sure you insert each print cartridge in its correct slot.
- Close the print cartridge drawer.
- Close the front access door.The product control panel displays the message 'Initializing ' while the product prepares the new print cartridges.
- Recycle the old print cartridge. Place it in the box in which the new print cartridge came, and then follow the recycling instructions in the box.