HP LaserJet Pro M1217nfw Multifunction Printer support
Setting Up the Printer for a Wired (Ethernet) Network Connection in Windows 7
This document explains how to install the print driver and other software to use your printer on a wired (Ethernet) network. This document also explains how to change from a USB connection to a network connection. Read this if you plan to install the printer software on a networked computer running the Windows 7 operating system.
If you already set up the printer and are just looking for the driver to download, go to HP Drivers & Downloads , and then enter your printer model name and operating system if prompted.
Step one: Check requirements
Make sure you have the following items:
- One of the following types of wired access points or routers: Ethernet router, switch, hub, or wireless router with Ethernet ports
- A computer that connects to the wired access point or router
- A Category 5 Ethernet cable to use for the HP product. (Do not use a standard telephone cable.)
Step two: Change from a USB connection to an Ethernet connection (optional)
If you previously installed the software for a USB connection, you can easily change to an Ethernet connection using the Connect a new printer utility in the HP software.
- On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon (), click All Programs, click HP, click the folder for your printer, and then click the icon for your printer. The printer software opens.
- Click Printer Setup & Software Selection.
- Click Connect a new printer, and then follow the on-screen instructions to set up the printer on your wired network.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer.
- Once the printer has been set up on the wired network, there is no need to continue with the steps in this document.
Step three: Connect the printer to the network
- Remove any plug or protective cover from the Ethernet port on the back of the product.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on the product, and then connect the other end of the cable to an available port on the wired access point or router.
- Connect the power cord to the product, and then plug it into an electrical outlet.
- Turn the product on.
Step four: Install the software
Follow these steps to install the latest driver available from the HP website. During the installation, choose the option for the Network or Wired type of connection, not the USB option.
NOTE:As an alternative method to downloading the software, you can use the installation CD instead.
- Turn on the printer.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer (if you already connected it). If the printer is connected to your network, leave it connected.
- Go to HP Drivers & Downloads .
- If the Welcome to HP Support page opens, follow these steps:
- Type your printer model number.
- Click Go.You might need to select your printer model number from a list of similar printer models.
- Select your operating system, and then click Next.A list of drivers and other downloads display.
- Scroll down the page, and then click Driver - Product Installation Software.
- Click Download next to the full feature or solution software and driver listed, and then follow the on-screen instructions to save the software to your computer.