HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer - E709a support
Macintosh: Installing the Printer Software in Mac OS X up to 10.5 for a USB Cable Connection
This document explains how to install the print drivers and other software for your HP product. Please read this if you plan to use a USB cable to connect your product to a computer that has a Mac OS X up to v10.5 operating system.
A print driver is a software program that allows the computer to run the printer. HP offers a variety of print drivers and software on the printer CD and the HP Web site. The available choices vary by printer.
NOTE:If you are trying to resolve a particular issue or error message, reinstalling a driver might not resolve the issue. Unless you know that reinstalling is the correct solution, search for help documents that pertain to your specific issue or error message.
Step one: Prepare for installation
NOTE:HP recommends using a USB cable that is less than 3 m (10 ft) long.
- Make sure the product and the computer are turned on.
- Connect the USB cable to the rear port of the HP product and to any USB port on the computer.
- Exit any open programs on the computer.
Step two: Decide whether to install with the product CD or download the software
Don’t worry if you don’t have the product CD! You can download the most current software available for your product from the HP Web site at no cost. The following information might help you decide which installation method to use:
|For a new product:||CD installation is a quick and easy method.||If you do not have a CD, you can download the software you need.|
|For an older product:||CD installation might not work if you are installing the product on a computer running a newer operating system that released AFTER the HP product released.||Downloading the software provides the best results for your older product.
Even though it takes more time than using the CD, downloading the latest software can help you avoid installation issues.|
Downloading is the recommended method if your computer operating system released after the HP product released.
|About the software:||The software on the CD is current to the date of the product release.||The software that you can download from the HP Web site is the most current software available for your product. HP often updates software and drivers AFTER the product and CD release to the market.|
Step three: Install the software
To install the printer software, follow the steps for the method that you want to use (CD or download).
NOTE:If you partitioned your hard drive, you must install the driver on the same partition as the operating system.
Click the plus sign () for more information.
- Turn on the printer.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer (if you already connected it). If the printer is connected to your network, leave it connected.
- Go to HP Drivers & Downloads . If prompted, type your printer model number, click Go , and then click Drivers .
- Make sure that your operating system is selected, and then click Next .
- Scroll down the page, and then click Driver .
- Click Download , and then follow the on-screen instructions to save the software to your computer.
- Open the folder where the software file saved (usually Downloads ), double-click the file, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Insert the Macintosh product CD into the CD drive of the computer.
- Double-click the HP software disc icon that displays under the Macintosh HD icon.
- Double-click the HP Installer icon.The HP Installer program opens.
- When prompted, select your HP product, and then click OK .
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.