Beginning in September 2010, HP is updating ink cartridges with these numbers: 564, 364, 178, and 862. The updated ink cartridges are compatible with both current and future printers that use these selectability numbers. They have been designed in conjunction with future printers to deliver new features and will be different from the previous cartridges in several ways:
- The page yield of the updated black XL ink cartridge will be reduced, with a reduced price* to be consistent with the current estimated cost per page based on ISO yield. For more information on page yields, see the page yield section on hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies .
- The updated black XL cartridge body is physically smaller than the previous black XL cartridge body. For more information, click this link New Smaller Body for HP 178, 364, 564, and 862 Black XL Ink Cartridges (c02750681) (in English).
The cartridges originally introduced and manufactured prior to September 2010 will not be compatible with the following printers and all-in-one devices (not available in all countries):
- HP Photosmart 5510/5520 e-All-in-One series
- HP Photosmart 6510/6520 e-All-in-One series
- HP Photosmart 7520 series
- HP Deskjet 3070A e-All-in-One
- HP Deskjet 3520 e-All-in-One
- HP Officejet 4610/4620
What should I do?
If you are using one of the printers listed above and see an Incompatible Older Generation Cartridge error message, click this link: 'Incompatible Older Generation Cartridge Installed' Message (c02534494) (in English) for more information.
Otherwise, simply continue to buy and use the cartridge number that is compatible with your printer. The updated cartridges are compatible with all printers.
Do I have the updated cartridges?
It is easy to figure out if you have the updated version of these cartridges:
*based on manufacturer’s suggested retail price, actual prices may vary.