HP ENVY 100 e-All-in-One Printer - D410a support
Replacing the Cartridges
This document contains steps for replacing the cartridges.
To purchase cartridges or check cartridge compatibility for your printer, go to HP Home & Home Office Store (US only), and then click Ink Toner & Paper .
If you are located outside of the US, follow these steps to purchase cartridges using HP SureSupply.
- Go to HP SureSupply .
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure that the country or region location is correct.
Video of replacing a cartridge
The following video demonstrates how to replace a cartridge.
NOTE:This video shows an HP Envy 100 (D410a) printer, but the steps are the same for your printer.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
Replacing the cartridges
Follow these steps to replace and align the cartridges.
NOTE:The alignment process should begin automatically after replacing the cartridges.
Step one: Load paper
Whenever you install a new cartridge, the HP product prompts you to load paper so you can complete a cartridge alignment. Before you begin the alignment process, make sure that paper is loaded in the product.
Follow these steps to load paper in the product.
- Grasp the lip on the paper tray, and then pull the tray towards you to extend it.
- Slide the paper width guide to its outermost position.
- Insert the stack of paper into the input tray with the short edge forward and the print side down.
- Push the stack of paper all the way forward, and then adjust the paper width guide so that it rests against the edge of the paper.
- Push the tray forward to close it.
Step two: Replace the cartridge
Follow these steps to replace one or both of the cartridges.
- Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product, if it is not already turned on.
- Open the access door. The carriage moves to the center of the product. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before continuing.
- Lift the lid on the cartridge slot to release the cartridge, and then pull the cartridge out of the slot to remove it.
- Remove the new cartridge from its packaging, and then pull the pink pull tab to remove the plastic tape.CAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.
- Hold the cartridge at a slight upward angle with the cartridge contacts facing the rear of the product, and then slide the cartridge into the empty slot.NOTE:Insert the color cartridge in the slot on the left. Insert the black cartridge in the slot on the right.
- Close the lid on the cartridge slot to secure the cartridge into place.
- Repeat the previous steps to install the other cartridge, if necessary.
- Close the access door.
Step three: Align the cartridges
After replacing the cartridges, the alignment process should begin automatically. The product prints an alignment page. If the alignment process does not begin automatically, use one of the following methods to align the product.
- Touch Setup ( ) on the product control panel.
- Touch Tools , and then touch Align Printer . The alignment process begins, and the alignment page automatically prints.
Follow these steps to align the product using the product software.
- Open the HP product software:
NOTE:You can also open the HP product software from your computer desktop: double-click the icon for your HP product ( ).The product software opens.
- Windows XP: Click Start ( ), click All Programs , click HP , click the folder for your HP product, and then click the icon for your HP product ( ).
- Windows Vista or Windows 7: Click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , click HP , click the folder for your HP product, and then click the icon for your HP product ( ).
- In the product software, double-click Printer Actions ( ).
- Double-click Maintenance Tasks ( ). The HP Toolbox opens.
- On the Device Services tab, click Align Ink Cartridges ( ). The alignment process begins, and the alignment page automatically prints.